Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due Date

Options
  • 14-07-2010 10:46pm
    Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

New comedy starring Zach Galifinakis and Robert Downey Jr from the director of The Hangover. Looks very Planes,Trains and Automobiles. I like both actors so i think it has potential :)

Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Looks like a collection of Alan's scenes that were too shít for The Hangover and thus snipped from the final cut. It's the exact same character ffs. Disappointing trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Beardyman is playing the exact same character again from Hangover, somehow I imagine people will still lap him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,410 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

No doubt it will be a hit with the actors and director involved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Looks funny, who cares if Zach Galifinakis is playing the same character as the one from the hangover, back in the eighties Steve Martin, Bill Murrey and co all played similar characters. Who cares as long as it works, its a comedy

• Registered Users Posts: 43,802 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Looks much more enjoyable than 'Dinner for Schmucks' anyways!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,410 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Out this weekend here

Danny McBride also in this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Could be good. The Hangover was very funny, if a little meanspirited.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

I saw Due Date the other day and it was good enough, I'll enjoy it way more on dvd (my experience of it was probably a little altered by the other people in the cinema they just took me out of it a small bit, made me disengage with the

characters.) but it is basically a carbon copy of Planes, Trains and Automobiles.
    Just to confirm it, I watched Planes, Trains and Automobiles last night and it is nearly the exact same. The only difference is Planes, Trains and Automobiles is

by far the better film. John Candy's performance packs an emotional punch and Steve Martin's character is less of a dick than Robert Downey Jr's so it is less of a mystery why the two men stick together. I'm not going to go into all the

reasons why it's a better film but would recommend that if you go to see Due Date track down Planes, Trains and Automobiles as well. Both are worth your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Saw this on Friday and was less than impressed. Could have been a lot better but did have some funny bits.

It seemed as though they couldnt decide what type of comedy they were going to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

very poor. Was expecting great things when they compare it to the Hangover. Not in the same league at all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Saw this on Friday and was less than impressed. Could have been a lot better but did have some funny bits.

It seemed as though they couldnt decide what type of comedy they were going to do.
    Sums up my feelings on it too tbh, they expected too much from Downey Jr and Zach Galliwhatshisname really milking the roadtrip thing to bejaysis.

Not terrible, just not great either IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Kaspars

I've been very interested in watching this movie ever since I found out about it. I loved Zach Galifianakis. Robert Downey Jr. always does solid work. Through all of that I had high expectations and as with all expectations there is always a risk that they will not be met. Hilarious probably one of the best comedy films of 2010

What are your opinions on the film? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

It's not nearly as funny as it's made out to be. Giggling here and there would be closer to the truth. I just couldn't engage with the guys. They were watchable but I didn't really care if Downey Jnr got home in time for his baby, which kind of makes the plot dull and void.

I'd sooner watch Trains, Planes and Automobiles, than watch this again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Eoinite

I watched this last night, it took awhile for the film to get interesting but when it did mid way through it had some funny parts! The dog is just hillarious :D

Is the director the same guy that did 'The Hangover'??

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

To be honest, I got more of a laugh from the title of this thread than from the film. Boring, tired, unengaging, drivel..... would be more my take on it.

My main problem with it is with the Zach Galifianakis character. Why on Earth would anyone still want to be friends with him at the end. He had no redeeming features whatsoever. I would have shoved him off the side of the Grand Canyon and continued on, happy that the world was now a better and safer place.

Honestly, what was so funny? Who laughs at masturbating dog scenes any more? Who laughs at boring and cliched (and unreal) drug scenes anymore? Maybe I've just seen too many better films.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Raoul

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    To be honest, I got more of a laugh from the title of this thread than from the film. Boring, tired, unengaging, drivel..... would be more my take on it.

My main problem with it is with the Zach Galifianakis character. Why on Earth would anyone still want to be friends with him at the end. He had no redeeming features whatsoever. I would have shoved him off the side of the Grand Canyon and continued on, happy that the world was now a better and safer place.

Honestly, what was so funny? Who laughs at
    masturbating dog scenes
    any more? Who laughs at boring and cliched (and unreal) drug scenes anymore? Maybe I've just seen too many better films.

Spoilers!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Posts moved from film reviews, as most of them weren't reviews :pac: Now: discuss away!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I thought it was absolutely brilliant to be honest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Caught this at the weekend, pleasantly surprised, thought it was very good, seems to be one your either hate or love

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Was really let down by this movie and thought RDJnr was hopelessly miscast - I think Ben Stiller would have been perfect for the role. As people said earlier, Downey's character is unlikeble so you really don't care whether he gets back or not.

Also, for me, the funniest part of the movie was ruined by an ill-judged attempt by the director to tug at the heartstrings.
    The part where RDJnr's character insists Ethan Tremblay shows him some examples of his supposed acting skills while they're in the rest-stop bathroom. It's quite funny with Tremblay resorting to saying "What're you a girl or sum'tin??" for every character he's asked to play... then, out of nowhere he breaks into tears as he remembers his dead father.

I thought it was terribly misguided, it was the only real LOL moment of the film and when the mood change happens it leaves you feeling awkward - I felt like the whole cinema just felt kind of awkward.
    They were going for an "Awwww" moment and instead they got a "What the f**k, I could've done without that" moment...

• Advertisement
Advertisement