Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Epilepsy and life assurance

Options
  • 14-07-2010 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

I know this is a finance issue but it is specific to epilepsy sufferers so I’ve placed it here. Feel free to move it

My fiance took out life assurance with one of the major banks towards the end of 2009. At the time he was fine physically but wanted some extra backup as he is self employed.

In the last 5 months he has started to have blackouts/seizures and his doctor believes that it is epilepsy (undiagnosed as yet). Once the bank find out how will this affect his current policy? Will the bank try to terminate it or increase the premiums?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

The first thing is to figure out what the diagnosis is, so you could ask your GP about tests to get a concrete diagnosis.

I'd imagine there's a clause in the contract he signed to cover such circumstances, so having a good read of the contract is worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭TravelJunkie

He didn't have epilepsy when he started the policy so it's not like he hid it, thus it shouldn't affect it.

You're not going to die from Epilepsy, so I wouldn't worry just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

He didn't have epilepsy when he started the policy so it's not like he hid it, thus it shouldn't affect it.

You're not going to die from Epilepsy, so I wouldn't worry just yet.

without meaning to frighten the OP, people can die from epilepsy. its not common, but it can and does happen

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sideshow Gaz

Turns out my policy as it stands is fine but I cannot make any further changes or increases to it without loading. I have been advised I may as well seek a new policy to cover better life assurance for a mortgage application.

However before I can do that I need a firm diagnosis of my form of epilepsy. As I am a public patient this could take months to get a CT and EEG scan.

Does anyone know how expensive these scans are to get done privately?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Giggles1982

Sideshow a quick phone call to any private hospital and they can tell you exactly how much they cost , its normally a MRI Brain & EEG for diagnosis . I think a MRI may be around the 200 mark , could be wrong . As i said they can tell you over the phone exact costs .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

see does health centres like the TLC centre do these tests, cause i know they do xrays and other scans for half the price of the hospitals and your not waiting, however they mightn't have a MRI.
    Sometimes the neurologist wont diagnose you with epilepsy until you've even run a trial on epilepsy drugs to see how they affect you.

good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Giggles1982

TLC centre in santry has the Northwood Imaging centre , they do MRI s , not sure about EEG s .

Mater Private does do EEG s however .

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sideshow Gaz

Well I've been on a course of drugs now for several months without a single seizure since I started them, have had an MRI and and EEG in mid October but still can't seem to get any results the life assurance company will accept. Does anyone know how long it takes for a public patient to recieve results from an MRI and EEG scan? I've been waiting 6 weeks now and look likely to lose my mortgage approval if I don't get some information in the next few days. I don't want to push my luck with my consultant as I got seen to fairly rapidly but I need this information and have no sign of getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Nyberg

MRI's usually in the late 400 euro mark. Quickest place to get one is in one of the private clinics.
    It also depends on how many scans and if contrast is needed.
    No idea on EEGs Sorz

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Kennie1

Well I've been on a course of drugs now for several months without a single seizure since I started them, have had an MRI and and EEG in mid October but still can't seem to get any results the life assurance company will accept. Does anyone know how long it takes for a public patient to recieve results from an MRI and EEG scan? I've been waiting 6 weeks now and look likely to lose my mortgage approval if I don't get some information in the next few days. I don't want to push my luck with my consultant as I got seen to fairly rapidly but I need this information and have no sign of getting it.
    Seriously question the advice that you are getting for the life cover...DONT CANCEL YOUR EXISTING POLICY seek a second opnion from another financial advisor or broker!!! If you are refused cover from a life company the bank cannot refuse your mortgage application...
    Get a letter from the life assurance company explaining that they will not cover you at the moment and give it to your bank, based on this letter the bank cannot refuse to approve your mortgage. Need more advice on this come back to me.
    Glad to hear that the meds are working, had it myself when i was a teenager and took 9 months to get the meds sorted so count yourself luckly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement