Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Is maith an aghaidh air é"

Options
  • 14-07-2010 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Just reading back over one of the terrific columns (dl) by Micheál Ó Conaola in Foinse and having some trouble with a sentence.

Here is the paragraph for context:

"Réalta mór é Daithí anois agus is é a dhéanfas fear an tí ag Féile Rós Thrá Lí i mí Lúnasa. Is maith an aghaidh air é agus go n-éirí leis."

I did look up FGB under "aghaidh" and I can make a guess from the examples there, but I'm still not exactly sure.

Any ideas out there? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

He's a good face on him - Tá sé dóighiúil, is dócha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Hm.. I'm not sure that's the meaning here Crosáidí. I think it may be moreso something to do with his popularity, or the popularity of the Rose of Tralee...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

From the context, I get the impression that it means that "it's a good reflection on him/reflects well on him (that he was chosen to present the Rose of Tralee)". That's just an educated guess though. Maybe try looking up 'reflection (on)' in any dictionaries you have to see if there's any such basis to that. I don't think it has anything to do with how good looking he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Tenente

Does it have something to do with he deserves it as in "is maith an airí air é" ?

Advertisement