Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you set up Broadband on hand built PC?

Options
  • 14-07-2010 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

i wasn't sure where to put this thread but here it goes! I'm getting the parts for a new PC off komplett/pixmania and was just wondering/making sure how to get my Eircom broadband working again. I have the router that says netopia on the top of it (old silver one), and I used to have a Dell which kind of made it easy to set up. My desktop is wired and not WiFi.

Here's my spec to-be if it helps (prob not :P):

• Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    • Coolermaster Real Power M620 PSU
    • Antec Three Hundred Case
    • Sony Optiarc Disk Drive
    • Corsair XMS3 4Gb PC3-10666
    • Samsung Spinpoint F3 500Gb HDD
    • Gigabyte GA-790XT-USB3 Mobo
    • MSI R5850 Twin Frozr II GFX
    • AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.2 Ghz CPU

All help is greatly appreciated!

Kevin F.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I can think of several other places, but this seems fairly simple anyhow...

Take the Cat5 cable you have hanging out of the router. If you weren't using WiFi it was the cable that ran from the router to the old PC. Proceed to stick it in the hole in the back of your PC that looks like a slightly-oversized telephone wire socket - it'll be on the metal I/O plate wih a whole plethora of other-coloured and -shaped holes.

Now go into Network Connections. It should now appear there, but you might not be able to use it yet if you have a firewall. You'll need to go into its Network or Zones tab or whatever it calls it then find the connection (IP will usually be 192.168.0.1) and make it a Trusted connection. Your Internet should now play ball, although you may have to select it as your default connection in your browser's options if it fails to automatically use the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Kevinf63

Solitaire wrote: »
    I can think of several other places, but this seems fairly simple anyhow...

etc. etc. etc.

Thanks very much for the advice and hopefully when I receive the parts all goes well. I'll reply if there is any complications along the way!

Advertisement