Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring

Options
  • 14-07-2010 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Is it in a arduous process in Trinity? I'm a JF studying Business and throughout my first year a lot has changed for me, opinions perspectives, personal ambitions. This is obviously not uncommon for most first years. As a result, I don't think the course I chose last year is that suited to me, or where I want to go anymore. Still, I'd like to remain within Trinity. I'm currently thinking Art History and Sociology or French.

I did in fact fail an exam in the Summer as many do, and to an extent the fear of not passing the repeat is also driving this decision but not as much as my reasons outlined above.

Can anyone help? Anybody have any similar stories and how they're doing now? And any experience good or bad with the above departments I'm thinking of moving to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I would recommend contacting your tutor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Seriously. The deadline to apply for a course transfer is soon.

Be aware:

You would have to start again in first year.
    You would have to pay fees for that year.
    You would have to have the CAO points for the course you wanted to enter.
    You would have to have your tutor's support and signature (or the Senior Tutor's).

Also:

Your actual college grades don't matter in this process.
    You should seriously consider taking the repeats anyway.
    You should discuss it with your tutor and parents, because it's a big step.

I've done it myself. It was arduous - and expensive - but ultimately the best decision I ever made. However, your mileage may vary and it's not something you should just jump into.

Go talk to your tutor. ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭RuehlTheWorld

I've certainly got the CAO points to boot and you're certainly right. It is such a big decision. And killing me! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

I was a Junior Freshman law and they let me transfer straight into 2nd year History, some departments are very understanding about this. I knew by the middle of first year that I was in the wrong course and made up my mind to do it straight away. It was the best decision i've ever made as well, felt about in over my head for the first couple of weeks and soon settled down and got on with the year.

You need to talk to your tutor about this straight away and know what you are going to say to them and make sure you outline exactly why you want to transfer and how much you really want to do this new course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

One of my friends was doing MSISS but hated it and by the end of first year decided he wanted to do BESS and they let him go straight into second year provided he passed all his exams (and repeats in his case).

It would obviously depend on the similarity of the courses aswell if they were to let you go straight into second year or if you'd have to start all over again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement