Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[UPDATED] THE CONSUMER SHOW: New RTÉ series welcomes Boards users

Options
  • 14-07-2010 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

New for RTÉ this autumn is The Consumer Show, the series that aims to champion on behalf of Irish consumers.

Fronted by financial expert Eddie Hobbs and Prime Time reporter Keelin Shanley, both with long track records in revealing the truth behind the headlines, the series will focus on consumer information and advice, looking at specific case studies which expose poor value, sharp practice and unacceptable standards. Joining Eddie and Keelin will be Consumer Champion Tina Leonard, whose past experience as Director of the European Consumer Centre Ireland will bring additional expertise to the team

The Consumer Show’s research team is keen to hear from Boards.ie users with a story to tell: Have you been ripped off by a rogue tradesperson or service provider? Have you had experiences of customer care which have failed to live up to expectations? Have you purchased something which disappointed or proved to be poor value for money? Have you had an experience which left you feeling that you did not get what you paid for or were misled by the small print? Is there a company or organisation you have dealt with you feel has let you down? Do you feel you are being well served by our retailers?

If you have a consumer experience you would like to see tackled on this new series please contact in confidence the production team at 01 412 5457 or consumers@rte.ie

Many thanks,
    The Consumer Show team

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Grantosol

The Consumer Show or RTE TV is wondering about the variation in clamping fines in this country.

Specifically we're looking to get in contact with those of you who have had to pay a large fine to a private clamping company as a result of being clamped on private property.

consumers@rte.ie

AUDIENCE MEMBERS WANTED!!!

The Consumer Show, which will be fronted by finance guru Eddie Hobbs and TV journalist Keelin Shanley, aims to reveal stories that touch our everyday lives, from slick scams to shoddy customer service, protecting the Irish consumer at a time when every cent counts, exposing dodgy sales practices and misleading small print.

The Consumer Show is looking for people to be part of our studio audience. The show will be recorded in RTÉ studios, Donnybrook, Dublin 4 from 6th September 2010 and every Monday thereafter for six weeks. Audience members need to arrive at 4.15pm and will be finished at approximately 6pm.

To apply for tickets, which are free of charge, please contact Aileen Heavey by phone: 01 208 4643, or email aileen@cocotelevision.ie

Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that every applicant will be successful in receiving tickets.

Audience applicants must be 16+ years of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Just to let all you posters know that this topic has been cleared with the CI mods.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I know this is a show, but couldnt find anything in the tv section.

Have to say its very poor, the whole all ireland final ticket thing was a load of crap !!!

Watched it last week as well and found it very poor, they start with a theory and then seem to try to get the facts to fit that theory.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056030910
    Shelflife wrote: »
    Have to say its very poor, the whole all ireland final ticket thing was a load of crap !!!

Ha ha yeah it was horrendous wasn't it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭amovingstatue

they're walking around after the people shopping and commenting ala creatures in the wild. Any other production would have the person walking and talking with the people.

christ i can't take the smug tone of the presenter. the notion of addressing people with their names is gone out the window i notice... it's like watching tv3

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Threads merged

dudara

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I think it is a major consumer issue that our TV Licence money is going toward this [EMAIL="CR@P"]CR@P[/EMAIL]!!!!

Eddie Hobbs: watch out doctors receptionists etc etc

Eh how about watch out consumers, don't listen to a word Eddie says, particularly about Brendan Investments.

JEBUS!!!!! My blood pressure is UP after watching this rubbish.

RTE! Seriously! Get a grip. Stop making this sh1t. Or stop buying it if a production company made it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

The sad thing is that they dont actually deal with any issues !!!

all ireland tickets are hard to get and there is a blackmarket for them !!! wow this is news?????

tracker mortgages are great , this piece was so crap they finished the show as they were speaking.

doctors displaying prices, Eddie most people have a regular gp, they have your medical history its not the same as buying an apple in tthe cheapest shop.

very badly researched and poorly executed.did they solve any issues or just raise issues and then move on to more crap.

Shelflife wrote: »
    doctors displaying prices, Eddie most people have a regular gp, they have your medical history its not the same as buying an apple in tthe cheapest shop.

Per Eddie: "it's just another service"

Ha ha I wish Eddie had gone to college for 7 years and have some little upstart leprachaun tell him that all those years of studying, training, passing exams was "just a service".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i noticed this show is not on the RTE player service, i wont be watching it because it clashe with Corrie and now cant even follow it with the RTE player but sounds like im not missing out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

foggy_lad wrote: »
    i noticed this show is not on the RTE player service, i wont be watching it because it clashe with Corrie and now cant even follow it with the RTE player but sounds like im not missing out?

It's so is on RTE player for later Lulz !!!!!!!

Nice to see Tina the muppet got a gig after her stint on the afternoon show, life wouldn't have been the same without her to keep me out of harms way.

Was I the only one mesmerized by Keelins legs :o

Also lmfao @ the copper saying he will nab touts on the casual trading laws , works a charm pal , those 20 touts outside the "insert band name here" gig where shaking in their boots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

calex71 wrote: »
    It's so is on RTE player for later Lulz !!!!!!!

Nice to see Tina the muppet got a gig after her stint on the afternoon show, life wouldn't have been the same without her to keep me out of harms way.

Was I the only one mesmerized by Keelins legs :o

Also lmfao @ the copper saying he will nab touts on the casual trading laws , works a charm pal , those 20 touts outside the "insert band name here" gig where shaking in their boots
    i can only assure you it was not on the rte player shows listing when i posted my comment above as i searched in every category and then did an a-z search then used the search function and it showed nothing found.

but now i have seen the first three minutes of the first show i concurr with other posters who will not be setting their vcr's or sky boxes to record it, not very good tv at all too much talk and waffle and not enough actual consumer issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

I watched The Consumer show last week.

I watched watchdog last night.

Both try to be the same thing.

Watchdog is watchable and even has some humor thrown in.

I am sorry to say, the Consumer Show is utterly unwatchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NetNinja

Bring back Esther Rantzen & That's Life....

:eek:

Are you interested in cutting the costs of your mortgage, electricity or mobile phone charges?

We intend to film with a number of householders with a view to reducing
    their bills. Does this interest you?

For more information, please contact jill@cocotelevision.ie or phone (01) 2084635

Many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Why the hell have they got Tina Leonard giving out poor advice?

On the afternoon show she advised people to sue An Post because poeple did not get their passports in 10 days by passport express. :eek:

Grantosol wrote: »
    Are you interested in cutting the costs of your mortgage, electricity or mobile phone charges?

Hi Grant,

Would you like to respond to any of the comments on this thead (and in the TV forum) about the show?

Regards
    Amdub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Grantosol wrote: »

For more information, please contact jill@cocotelevision.ie or phone (01) 2084635

Many thanks

I'll let you interview you to my two German shepherds if you are interested.
    They keep my TV licence bill pretty low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

Such a terrible show,i cant stand Hobbs. He really annoyed me last week the way he kept calling Bord Gáis - Bord Gash. Clown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Could be his dialect :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jmc19

I thought last weeks show was meant to have a section about broadband on it, it said it on my planner :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Having watched two shows of this I have to say its yet another typical RTE show, no hard cutting stuff. Its not a consumer show like Watchdog and instead is a "use your cop on" show.

Its yet another soap box for eddie to preach his usual "this is how you cut your spending" stuff, he's previously had his own show, his own magazine so why the hell did RTE give him another soap box to do the exact same thing?

If RTE want to do a money saving show then create a show and call it the money show or something, don't produce a "consumer show" and patch a load of money saving stuff onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Dear Eddie,I went to my local butcher for stewing lamb, all was fine paid 13 euro for two and a half pounds, but then i asked for bones so i could make the stock, they were going to charge me for a few bones, i was horrified and told them keep the lot, what is right bout paying for bones that were about to be flung in bin

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jmc19

When is the piece about Vodafone's Home Broadband service going to be done as it was meant to be aired last series. Thankfully I'm no longer a customer with them but their joke of a service still continues !

Advertisement