Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nas and damien marley concert

Options
  • 14-07-2010 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭

anyone going to this? i knows there' s a lot of fans of these on boards, i got my ticket yesterday

maybe a bit in the shadows just after oxygen as was snoop dogg i taught.

17/7/10

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

anyone going to this? i knows there' s a lot of fans of these on boards, i got my ticket yesterday

maybe a bit in the shadows just after oxygen as was snoop dogg i taught.

17/7/10

What time do you reckon this would kick off at? I have to work sunday morning.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 power_h

Cant wait :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

Rjd2 wrote: »
    What time do you reckon this would kick off at? I have to work sunday morning.:(

It'll be over by 11.30 at the latest cos Tripod have nightclub. Prob kick off bout 9/9.30 i'd imagine.

Any idea who is doing support?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭Raoul

Can't remember where I read this but it will be Nas then Damian Marley performing solo sets then the two of them together doing another set. :D

It sounds great. Actually can't wait. Is there any talk of an after party?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

yeah, it's solo sets and the some songs of the new album. The show poster has it as a Nas show with Damien Marley supporting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭PoppyRowe

ooooh i'm too excited

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Would have gone but none of my friends would go with me....have to give this one a miss....devestated

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Would have gone but none of my friends would go with me....have to give this one a miss....devestated

No shame in going to a gig by yourself, its not as if you will be crying in a corner. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭PoppyRowe

Raoul wrote: »
    Can't remember where I read this but it will be Nas then Damian Marley performing solo sets then the two of them together doing another set. :D

It sounds great. Actually can't wait. Is there any talk of an after party?

Yeah I heard that too, I'd say maybe D will kick off then Nas will come on and then they'll just blow the place up. Ohhhhhhhh mannnnnn :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I would definitely have gone to this but I'm off to the British Open during it unfortunately. I too would have been going to it alone. No shame in it at all. Would absolutely love to have seen Nas live. Hopefully he comes back sometime in the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MisterCadbury

Soooo excited about this, to be honest Distant relatives is my album of 2010 so far by a long so really hoping they do alot off it.

No its probably not likely but anyone know what chances of meeting the boys are like?

Was at Snoop in Cork last week and alot of the people who hung around after gig were invited to after party tent to meet Snoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Tickets for this are sold out. At least on ticketmaster. I'm told there were still 10 left in City Disks at 5.30 today. If you get down there first thing tomorrow morning you might get lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

So is there no supporting act at all?

Nneka did support for them on their US tour, would have been class, if she showed up here.

Still, I love the idea of a solo set each first., I'm actually more record about the damian marley solo set than nas. Pity most people may only know one of his songs though!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Tickets for this are sold out. At least on ticketmaster. I'm told there were still 10 left in City Disks at 5.30 today. If you get down there first thing tomorrow morning you might get lucky.

I presume this is completely sold out now!? Should be a great gig, just back from being away, really should've picked up a ticket before going, should be a cracking gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

You never know they might have some on the door. I was looking forward to seeing this myself (and Don't Flop Ireland) but I caught chicken pox. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

not heading into to DFI4 so?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭DermoMIO

have a spare standing ticket going for cost price €35

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I was thinking of going but don't have much money. I saw Nas in 2005 so its not that bad. Besides when I was in New York in May I saw Queensbridge so thats a bit of history.

Superb gig last night, have a few vids on my phone which i'll post once i work out how to get them off it! :o

The place was hopping and was an absolute sweatbox aswell. All added to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Superb gig last night, have a few vids on my phone which i'll post once i work out how to get them off it! :o

The place was hopping and was an absolute sweatbox aswell. All added to it :D

Sounds good, well i don't know about the sweatbox bit but apart from that! What time did they come on/play till? Did they do the solo set each first?

• Advertisement

S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    Sounds good, well i don't know about the sweatbox bit but apart from that! What time did they come on/play till? Did they do the solo set each first?

They came on late, bout 10 past 10 i think but played til 10 to 12 so was ok. Came on together at the start and did there own 5-6 song sets throughout the gig interspersed with their own stuff. Road to Zion, Welcome to Jamrock, One Mic and Nah Mean stood out for me. Did a version of One Mic with just a chap beating a drum which was good. Closed with Could You be Love'd also

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I didn't have a ticket but was in the area anyway so thought I'd chance my arm and see if I could buy a ticket or pay at the door.........not a hope in hell! The queue was a mile long and not even the ticket touts had spare tickets for this! :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

A few of my mates where at it last night, they didnt give great reviews about the gig. But i think that getting in probably soured thier night, they had complications with the guest list. they where also annoyed that Nas didnt play any of his classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 smight

This was one of the greatest live gig's I've ever had the pleasure of being at.

They were late coming on - to the point that a chorus of boo's was starting up just before they came on. But, for me it all added to the suspense, I knew from the Pod's website their was a gig posted for the main room at 11 as part of the access all area's Crawdaddy gig. But, there was no way in hell this crowd were leaving before getting their money's worth - and that they did (get their money's worth)

The two lads stormed it, I've seen Nas twice before and never seen him rock it like this, and as for Damian, he was special. Seeing him dedicate the final song "you Could be Loved" to his father was an experience I'll not be forgetting for some time.

And the crowd played their part too in a big way, just before they came on for the 1st encore of 3 (if i remember correctly I was pretty wasted) The crowd entered into a chant of Ole Ole, which got faster and louder untill the place was exploding with claps and whistles - magic. I have been attending this place for a decade and never once seen or heard it go off like this.

It was clearly visable that Nas and Mr. Marley were both suprised and moved be the response to their music.

Boom_Bap - "they where also annoyed that Nas didnt play any of his classics." - no dispespect here matey but, if these aren't hits well emmm..:

Nas is Like

Represent

Get Yourself a Gun

Made you Look

If I Ruled the World

Sweet Dreams

these are just a few of what I remember, he was mixing his way through 'em bits and pieces fast like. So as I said with all due respect, Just what was your mate extecting???? (Granted they may not be what he's known on MTV for, but if you got his albums you KNOW these tunes)

Animal gig well worth €35 and it's not often I say that. FACT.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

the lads probably wanted him to play Illmatic from front to back, i should also mention that my mates are all c*nts :D

No worries.

I just had to respond to that.

By the way I started recording the start of thte show on my camera, and noticed at the end of the show that I was still doing it. I must have been well into it at the time.

Anyway i've not looked at the vids yet, but I'll stitch them together into one later hopefully and post a linky up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Yea, thought it was a great gig myself. Loved the way they switched it up between solo material and the distant relatives stuff - almost like two sets in one. Could you be loved at the end was great as well, with the damian marley version from halfway tree blended in as well.

nas did a few old cuts, represent was a highlight. my grievance was more with damian marleys sewt list - no catch a fire, no it was written, no all night, no give dem some way, no traffic jam!

still, can't please everybody i guess!

And yea, place was an absolute sweat box. shirt was stuck to me 5 mins after they came on stage! glad i didn't wear white!

Agreed.

I just finished stitching the best vids together - i got 51:13 mins of pretty decent video, bearing in mind its taken on a small camera by a drunken fool, all the same it gives a good idea of the gig.

I wont be puttin it up till next week, but ill link it here wen i do.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    the lads probably wanted him to play Illmatic from front to back, i should also mention that my mates are all c*nts :D

Much as i would have liked a lot of the illmatic songs played i am not sure they would have worked with the rest of the set as it was quite high tempo, which why represent worked well i thought.

Sure he played em all at his last gig anyway :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ksri

brilliant show... not so much a fan of the reggae stuff, but was good all the same!

Advertisement