Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

media center/satellite splitter

Options
  • 13-07-2010 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi Everyone,

does anyone know if you can use a normal coax splitter on a LNB ? I want to use my media center pc and my tv box from the same connection, I'll only use the media center to record while I'm out and the box when I'm in so they wont be used at the same time.

also does it really matter if they are on at the same time ? could that wreck the LNB power wise or would it just mean weaker signal/H & V tuning problems.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

probably better to ask on the satellite forum
    but from what i understand it can damage the LNB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Can you not just use the loopthorough from the TV box to the media center PC? If the TV box is in standby, can the media center PC be able to use the LNB?

There is a splitter device, but as you aluded to, and shown here in the questions, http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=9273 it can lead to issues. Probably not a problem if one of the boxes isn't trying to use the LNB at the same time as the other.

Another solution would be dual or quad LNB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Population1

Hi subway and polyfusion,

Thanks so much for the replys, I had this question on another thread http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055968959 and got an answer that it was fine to do it so I went ahead, it's working fine just using the normal splitter even when both are on, one does block out the other when one is on H and the other is on V but I can live with that.

Do you really think that this is damaging my LNB ? it does seem fine. thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

it doubt it ill do any harm, its just something i heard somewhere.
    cant find any link that backs it up so its more than likely BS

Advertisement