Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cruising Shannon

Options
  • 13-07-2010 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey Folks

Any suggestions on where to cruise on Shannon. Have 2 days on a friends boat (only holiday getting this year:() and we start from Bannagher. Should we head North or South?

Any good historic sites to see or villages to stop off at?

Any advice appreciated
    Adalantai
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Banagher is a great spot - there is a great pub there. JJ Houghs.
    We're going again this year, going south to Lough Derg, haven't been in a while but it's my favourite spot of the Shannon. Terryglass, Dromineer, Garykennedy and even Portumna castle are lovely spots to stop.

And if you feel like heading north, Shannonbridge is nice too - great bar there also! And, something I've never done is go down the river Suck to Ballinasloe.

Here is an online version of the maps you'll get on board: http://www.iwai.ie/maps/shannon-erne/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

www.discoverloughderg.ie

Just found this too - has lots of info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

2 days isn't a lot of time.
    If you travel north, you can stop at Shannonbridge, and Clonmacnoise which is well worth a visit - http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/midlandseastcoast/Clonmacnoise/

Athlone is about 2 hours cruising from Clonmacnoise (3ish hours from Banagher).

If you travel south, you can stop at Portumna (nice forest park) and continue south into Lough Derg where you have some lovely villages (Terryglass, Dromineer, Mountshannon).

One consideration is how you would like to spend your one night - if you like a quieter time in some nice pubs, then I would go south into Lough Derg, but if you fancy something busier, then Athlone is a great spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

I agree with all that's been said but one important item could decide whether you go north or south, namely the weather.
    Any of the lakes, particularly Derg can be very uncomfortably in rough weather.
    If the forecast is giving strong winds then I would advise going north and if you do, then the trip up the Suck to Ballinasloe is well worth doing.

Advertisement