Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopped smoking 10th July

Options
  • 13-07-2010 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭

My notes from last time I stopped:

How I stopped smoking
    After smoking 10-20 a day for 15 years and trying to stop a number of times I have now been smokeless for 4 weeks.

Was quite a unique way of stopping and I must say, was very easy, appreciate that it may have only been easy for me but here is what I did.

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/BryanLeeCurtis.html

Step 1 : Throw away any smokes.

Step 2 : Train your imagination.
    I took a random(ish) photo from the web and made it real, made a story behind the entire day to the point of recalling the drive on the way there etc,
    The one I Used, go find your own. The photo above was taken when I took my son to see my mum, she gave us those jumpers as a late xmas pressie. (you get the idea)
    Step 3: Train again, use a different picture.
    Step 4: Train again with another picture.
    Step 5: Create your own death. I did this in a couple of ways. How I Died That is my son sitting on my wifes knee. I wanted to say goodbye to him at the last possible moment. Stupidly I left it too late and never said goodbye to him.

I also used this to show the lunacy of myself later in life. I cant believe that I let something control my life for so long.

A few minutes into step 5 I am a sobbing wreck as I did die and leave the kids with no dad. Im my mind it happened and I am viewing the event after my death. I think it is important to find whatever really breaks you and it is important to really believe it.

From this point of being dead I can look away from the images and I am alive again. What a fantastic starting place.

Step 6: Living.
    No matter how much I want one (though to be fair I found this really really easy this way) I can bring back the images of my death instantly. I did it today in the car, got a craving for the first time in about a week. Had to stop the car as I couldnt see anything....

In the first few days I would view the images 2 or 3 times a day, after about a week I would view them once a week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Been tough, like some others here I work from home, IT, lots of opportunity to smoke, have substituted with food for now, that can't last though.

Day 5 will end well.

Allowed someone else to smoke in the car on the way back from Cork. Hard, but glad I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Exercise can produce the same kind of endorphins as smoking - if you start, say, going for a daily walk, it can help a lot.

Yep have to start that now. I reckon 3 weeks worth of savings gets me an exersize bike.

Tough day today, the first day where I woke and thought 'I'll not win the battle today.' Not had one yet though.

Well done! Miserable cold day today, that's probably why. Hang in there.

Oh my God, I've just looked at that video and the link. Poor, poor people.

Have you got to the stage yet where you can suddenly smell stale nicotine on heavy smokers, and just *gag*?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭NavanEPS

Hi Well done ch750536 you are doing great! keep it up...

Day 12 for me and it is tough but today was not as bad as yesterday. Although I did dream last night that I was a smoker. Strange really when I woke up, wondering what the hell was going on.

Good luck to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭judas1369

The dreams seem to stay with you, at least in my experience even after a year. Very occasional now but still very vivid and unsettling,only had one last night, just shows you the hold the drug has on you!
    Never take another puff!

I love the way to say it in Irish - "D'éirigh mé as".

Thanks all, yesterday was tough, got through it though, much more positive about today.

Excellent!

• Advertisement

Finally getting easier. I only think about smoking maybe twice a day now. Feel I've broken the back of it now.

Did have a lapse at a wedding, but firmly took it as an error and no more smokes.

At the point where I think about smoking less than everyday, which is a great barrier to pass. Feels easy now.

:)

Advertisement