Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now that Fring no longer connects to Skype...

Options
  • 13-07-2010 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Is there any other alternatives that can hook into my skype account and allow 3g and wifi calls??

The official android skype app is balls and doesnt allow free calls...

Unfortunately im pretty much locked into skype cuz there's no way im getting all my contacts to switch to a new service simply because i dont want skype anymore, so is there a way to do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

Is there any other alternatives that can hook into my skype account and allow 3g and wifi calls??

The official android skype app is balls and doesnt allow free calls...

Unfortunately im pretty much locked into skype cuz there's no way im getting all my contacts to switch to a new service simply because i dont want skype anymore, so is there a way to do it?

Sorry that the fring/skype love-in has got zapped. Skype are talking about an android app, supposedly by the end of the year.

fring still works perfectly well via a sip account with e.g. freespeech.ie from whom you can get a "local" tel. no, and dial away madly using 3g or wifi.

The same no doubt holds good for blueface.ie and voipstunt.com etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Ye unfortunately those other services are useless to me for now, as everyone i know uses skype. Its particularly frustrating cuz i cant chat to my mates who are travelling about the world now!

I was just hoping there was another service that hooked in with skype i was just unaware of.

So much for "openess"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

Oh that's nothing, fring is Israeli and thus by law all traffic is available to their intelligence service :)

Regarding Skype, there WAS a skype app out last year but it got pulled because of politics. You can still find skype lite app around, but it's very crude. T-Mobile originally caused it to be pulled, the amount of cloak and dagger around this is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭fade2che

Im using Nimbuzz on 2.1 and it did the job for me the few times I needed it.
    It might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

I can use Nimbuzz to chat to Skype on a PC but for the life of me cannot make a call over 3G. Dunno if it's my connection or the app.

• Advertisement
Advertisement