Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to Check Translation for Webcomic in Gaeilge

Options
  • 13-07-2010 4:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Dia daoibh!

I've been studying Irish, and as a way to help me with my studies, I decided to create webcomics in Irish. However, my Irish is far from perfect. I've tried the best that I can, but I'm positive that I didn't translate the entire script for this comic correctly. Is it possible that someone could help me? Thank you if you can.

The following is the English version. The dialouge is taking place between a hotel clerk and a fox that can talk. The fox's name is Íosac. I simply refer to the hotel clerk as a man.

Íosac: I have a room reservation.
    Man: Oh?

Man: I’m sorry, Mr. Fox, but animals are not allowed to stay in this hotel.
    Íosac: But that’s racism!

Íosac: I paid for a room. Now I want my room.
    Man: I’m very sorry, sir.

Íosac: This is cruelty to animals! I’m going to report you to ISPCA!
    Man: ???

Note: ISPCA is the Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Here is the version that I tried to translate into Irish, with some suggested corrections made by a few helpful people.

Íosac: Tá seomra curtha in áraithe agam.
    Man: Ó?

Man: Tá brón orm, a shionnaigh uasail, ach ní féidir le ainmhithe fanacht san óstán seo.
    Íosac: Ach sin ciníochas!

Íosac: D'íoc mé do sheomra. Anois tá mo sheomra ag teastáil uaim.
    Man: Tá an-brón orm, a ainmhí uasail.

Íosac: Cruálacht ar ainmhithe atá ann! Tá mé ag dul chun tú a thuairisciú don ISPCA!
    Man: ???

I'm mostly concerned about these two particular lines...

"Cruálacht ar ainmhithe atá ann! Tá mé ag dul chun tú a thuairisciú don ISPCA!"

Thanks again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 RetroRuss

Well, I finished my webcomic. Some people from another forum helped me with translations. Thanks anyway. I figured that I might as well post the finished webcomic here. I used the Seancló font, with the traditional S and R.

Apparently, there were some mistakes that I weren't aware were there. I will post a fixed version later.

ansionnachdtheangach2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Hi RetroRuss, fair play for the webcomic, it looks great!

Who's your intended audience? I don't think the Seanchló font would be easily understood by younger people ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Retroruss lovely work!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Good work, a chara

Get rid of the "h's" and use the buailte for a proper seanchló effect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 RetroRuss

Thank you very much!

I didn't really think who my intended audience might be. I just like the look of the Seancló font. You're right, I should have used the buailte, but I forgot. I will next time if I can get my word processor to do it.

Would you mind if I posted my next Irish comic in this thread? It's not finished, but they don't take long to make. It's mostly the translation that takes time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Do it! I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner to give some feedback on the grammar.
    Anyway, people get too tied up with grammar when it comes to Irish. Just use it away!

Advertisement