Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Studies

Options
  • 12-07-2010 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

How do you think the points will turn out for English Studies this year?
    Final round last year was 475.

Do you think it'll increase or decrease?
    Personally because of the demand for Science courses and computing/business courses, I have a feeling it'll go down abit. Or at least I'm hoping that's what will happen. People seem to be more driven towards the recession proof courses.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Courses like engineering are anything but recession proof. And business courses for the most part are functionally useless anyway, its not as if they don't learn anything you couldn't learn after a couple of years working in a firm while doing some light reading at evening time.

Do whatever you think will stimulate you intellectually. You shouldn't go to university to learn 'skills' but to get an education. And there is no better place in Ireland to study the humanities than TCD. Most of the time its luck of the draw with employers, and English Studies would gear you for a career in PR, media, or any other career that requires you to present information in a competant way.

Think about it like this, would you rather spend 4 years doing something you hate or something you love? Don't worry so much about future career prospects. Unless you have a specific goal in mind (IE, 'I want to be a doctor/scientist/Engineer') You are much better off doing something you love while trying to figure out what it is you must do to earn a crust in this cynical, unforgiving world...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 onenightonly

I know exactly what I want to do. English is something I've always been passionate about.
    I was just wondering what other people thought of the POINTS and how they'd work out this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Speculating about the points is likely to drive you mad - there's no real way of predicting it. I don't see them going any lower than 460 if they do drop and they could well be higher (have seen English at 520+ points in the past). Applications for undergrad courses at TCD are up this year and I don't know what the breakdown of that is - but I imagine the numbers applying for arts/humanities are still quite high. If anything's 'recession proof', it's an arts degree - it's also fairly 'boom proof' of course. ;)

Advertisement