Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Warfare 2 Overrated?

Options
  • 12-07-2010 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

So, there was so much hype for this game pre-release and so much talk post. Let's be fair the Campaign was fun enough but nothing we haven't seen before, the story cliché and the multiplayer? Ruined by the community in my opinion, we have 10 year olds finding out the glitches and using them to excess and people who stay in unlit corners waiting for a head to pop in the door.

Does a game like this really deserver to be rated 96 on Metacritic?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Over rated? Definitely, but still very enjoyable for me. Haven't had too many problems with glitchers but i guess I'm lucky! Nor do i find campers a problem either to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

These games always end up over rated and another unfortunate consequence is that all similar releases always unfairly get compared to them when they didn't have anywhere near the money produced by the hype train to fund their development. That's what bugs me the most, every shooter released now gets MW2 comparisons and any unique and original merits they may possess become irrelevant because people only look for the similarities.

MW2 is a great game though but I've been far more impressed with other titles both that are more deserving of the higher praise for their originality and style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

COD4 was miles better, they added too much in this game like killstreaks etc. Nuke was a bad idea promotes so much camping a lot of the time! Also the maps are to blame for the camping aswell so many corners included in them. :pac:

I suppose though if they kept COD4 the same with a few additions and new maps obviously. People would say the makers were lazy and could have done more. It's still a decent game but yeah defintely overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Not into multiplayer for the cod games, for the same reasons as halo.... too many american 13 year old kids :mad:

Bad Company 2 was a much more enjoyable campaign for my money. MW2 definitely well off MW1's campaign imo also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Ericka89

Yeah, personally for a campaign sort of game I'd go for an RPG or Alan Wake :P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

calex71 wrote: »
    Not into multiplayer for the cod games, for the same reasons as halo.... too many american 13 year old kids :mad:
    Then why not play with friends/find civil gamers?
    Makes multiplayer fun instead of nightmarish randomers looking for attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Ah this I have done just more difficult to find pals online / organize etc. really I guess the sound guy to douche ratio is off the scale with halo and cod vs otehr games which is why I avoid MP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

The game's great, it's just total tools who play it that make it annoying/"bad". In fairness to them they can't bubble wrap the whole game, someone will always find an annoying tactic.

As for camping, I never have time for anyone who moans about it. If they're camping you know where they are, kill them, go around them, don't sprint into them 5 times in a row, it's so, so easy to kill 'campers'...

Also the game's over rated, but again that's not their fault, nor saying it's a bad game.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Cullen82

Think it's over-rated but then again I preffered all the older COD WW2 games which everyone got sick of......

Also always get fed up online cause people are too bloo%%dy good at it.

Looking forward to the Next Gen where we'll surely be able to play our part in a huge reconstructed or fictional full scale war:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,896 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The campaign really is very poor. Not only was CoD 4's campaign way better than it but it felt really poor compared to dozens of other FPS games campaigns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭TetraxShard

Yeah, I much preferred the campaign from COD4. I could really have done without so many retreads of the Ghillie Suit mission from that game during the MW2 campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I stopped playin Call of Duty after 3 years of constantly hearing people round about me screaming abuse, particular friends of mine also cracking up so much that they leave the game.

My theory is if you want the biggest buzzkill of ur life, play MW2 with nerd-rage-driven friends, cause thats what I did lol

I'm put off Call of Duty for a long time until further notice. Sold every CoD game i owned to keep my mind off it.

Battlefield will always be my favoured Online FPS series :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Thought the story was savage. Didnt expect as much fighting on US soil as there was. Loved it. MP is great too

Overall this a great game.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Going to try the campaign. I've played the MP with mates but the unlock system is retarded and fundamentally broken. Its hardly a level playing field when a new or casual player comes along with a peashooter and the experienced (and thus already inherently better) player pulls out a raft of advanced weapons.

Its nothing special as far as I can see, its still a question of "place crosshairs there, press X to win". Fps need to move to something more interesting or they are just going to keep rehashing this sh*te so long as people keep buying it.

I'll report back on the SP campaign when I get a chance.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Nonsence!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

way over rated.
    enjoyed it first until people were just screaming and roaring all the time.
    i saw some of the top players playing it on youtube and the first thing they do is mute all the other players so they dont have to listen to them.
    battlefield badcompany 2 is just so much better and more enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

of course it's ridiculously overrated. cod4 was much, much better for both the campaign and the online play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

I never cared for COD, love Battlefild BC. and BC2 imo out did MW2 by a mile. Here's hoping Medal of Honour will blow Black Ops out of the water (go get them Dice!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 UALacrosse

A lot of people say that the first one was better, but honestly I like the newer one a lot better. I really like being able to choose my secondary from the different classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I gave up on MW2 after 2 weeks, it was pretty poor but on the plus side it did clear alot of the idiot kids out of COD4 which has improved a lot since MW2 release !!

Still any game that makes camping a bad thing is just retarded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Loved COD at first, got bored of it... really fast...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Never liked the single player campaigns in MW or MW2, too many set-pieces and constantly spawning enemies until you cross an invisible line.

I enjoyed the MP in MW, and initially in MW2. But then I realized how imbalanced it is, it's actually ridiculous, it seems like they never even attempted to balance it!

"Your doing great, here, have a helicoptor so you can get a load of easy kills and develop a bigger lead".

"Your doing crap, but hang in there, with a bit of fight and determination... uh-oh, here comes some harriers, as well, better luck next time buddy".

It'd be equivalent to the soccer team in the lead allowed to bring on an extra player.

Some games spend ages trying to get the right balance, even releasing multiple patches, but it seems IW just didn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

As Benzino and DeVore said, I just can't comprehend the uber retardedness of such an unballanced system.

It makes new users feel like I'm sure the Iraqi's felt when the Americans suddenly showed up to say hi.

"Here you're better than the others and more experienced, so have better weapons.
    Oh, now that you're killing all those less experienced players so much easier, have an airstrike!"

Ballanced shooters all the way for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

Was utterly addicted to it for the first month or two after it's release.
    Clocked up over 5 days of online gameplay and got somewhere into prestige mode. Haven't played it in months, as I like to vary my gameplay and am constantly playing new titles, but do intend on going back to it sometime soon.
    Still think that Horde on GOW2 is probably my favourite online MP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Ballanced shooters all the way for me.

Same here, this is why Halo 3 is my all time favourite.

Everyone starts with the same weapons, if you meet someone, the better player will win.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

As mad as it is awarding airstrikes and what not in MW2, I think the weapon awards are more balanced this time. The Scar is the first weapon unlocked (IIRC) and is the best gun in the game.
    Saying that though, I do feel sorry for anybody only signing up to play online now, it's absolutely punishing. I did that with MW1, and it wasn't easy. I only took it up about 2 months before MW2 was released, and it took some major persistence to get my first win in Free For All.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Korvanica wrote: »
    Same here, this is why Halo 3 is my all time favourite.

Everyone starts with the same weapons, if you meet someone, the better player will win.

thats what i like about battlefield bc 2
    everyone has acess to choppers and tanks and the uav. the guns are pretty well matched too. besides scopes but there pretty handy to unlock. like the m24 is one of the best guns in it and you have it from the start.

I was very late starting mw1 and the first time i played it i got 0-20 kd and didnt bother playing again.
    also on mw2 this no scoping is stil going on and these spin kills and stuff like that which is really annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I find that Cod4's MP blows MW2's out of the water, it's still definitly the more enjoyable option for me.

Have a friend who just uses his playstation for MW2, don't think he owns any other games, i try to tell him that there are better games out there but he more or less ignores my suggestions. What a waste of a machine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

just found out my 12yr old is one of them mouthy mw2 idiots.i was sitting next door listening to him for over an hour. hes irish and the words you suck noob came out of his mouth, :rolleyes:very dissapointed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement