Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complete Beginner :)

Options
  • 12-07-2010 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭

As the title suggests I am a complete newcomer to fishing. I have only ever been once, about 5 years ago to clogherhead and I did not enjoy it. A few weeks ago I was talking to a family friend about how seen I was finished school I have been really bored. Lo and behold a few days later he shows up at the house with a fishing rod, reel etc, it was his sons and never used.

So I have the equipment for a new hobby but no idea how or were to use it!

Its a telescopic rod probably about 9 foot long, seems to be a relatively heavy duty thing.

I live in Drogheda and was wondering if anyone knows of any nearby places (I don't have a car) to fish? Preferably somewhere nice, quiet and relaxing? And some simple advice about what to do, and how to fish at those places? (You know, different baits for different fish, do I reel it, or leave it on a float, do I use feathers, worms etc)

I did a quick search on the forum and didn't find a similar topic. Anyway, thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

First of all do you know how to tie a standard fishing knot? If not click here http://www.netknots.com/html/improved_clinch_knot.html
    That is the "Improved clinch knot" and is the knot you use to tie a line to a hook etc.
    Next is what kind of fish you want to catch. Perch might be a nice start. You will need to purchase a float, weights and some hooks. Not sure what the size is but relatively small, ask the shopkeeper. Also you can't go wrong with worms as bait. Ask the tackle shop where to go. When you have all that, your ready to go. Attach the float to the line and tie the "improved clinch knot" to your single hook. Floats differ so ask the tackle shopkeeper how to attach it to the line. Put weights on your line between the float and the hook. Try differant weight and see what makes the float more bouyant. Fish differant depths of the water and don't expect to catch on your first fishing trip either. It was my 4th time going before I caught anything and it was only a roach. Tight Lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Cheers mate, hopefully the shop will be able to tell me some good places to go.

Any advice perhaps on sea fishing? Would I approach that the same way? I live quite close to the coast.

Ask any of the other lads that, I myself have only ever done a small bit in portugal, but I know nothing.

Anyway tell me how you get on if you go, but my best tip is don't expect even a single bite. Since there is noone to teach you, you'll make mistakes which you'll learn from. I taught myself and it wasn't easy but the internet and this forum are your best friends. Good Luck!

Anyway tell me how you get on if you go, but my best tip is don't expect even a single bite. Since there is noone to teach you, you'll make mistakes which you'll learn from. I taught myself and it wasn't easy but the internet and this forum are your best friends. Good Luck!
    Cheers mate, will do! I will bring a book to keep me entertained :)

• Advertisement

lol another tip I might throw in. When the float goes under don't panic and start reeling in. If it's a big worm they might take a bite of it first so wait for the float to go down and stay down for at least 2-3 seconds or if it's moving away. When the fish takes the bait jerk the rod very hard into the air and reel in. I used to often just strike early and pull the bait away from the fish. Perch are one of my favourite fish to catch, after trout of course.
    EDIT-Also heres a website to tell you good fishing days, I use it to pick my fishing trips. http://www.fishingreminder.com/

Ah cheers! I presume I can buy worms etc in the shop? Or should I get the spade out? :D

That is a really nice site.

Is there any particular spots I should be looking for? A bend on the river, a pool, a fast flowing bit?

Do I need to worry about licences you think?

Usually deep pools are good. Yes you will surely be able to get worms in a shop. I fish places where I'm supposed to have a licence but I don't bother with it as none of the money raised from the licence fee goes to that particular river and I return all my fish. It's really up to yourself but no one has ever bothered me about it. I really hope you catch something but definately don't give up if you don't.

Thanks again mate! You've been really helpful.

I plan on returning all of mine too, after a photo of course :) I will ask in the shop, and case some spots out on Google earth.

I hope I do too, the fresh air and getting out of the house is the main thing. I will get cracking, and check what stuff I have(he gave me a tackle box too). Cant wait to get out and give it a bash!

Check the tackle box and see if there are any small spinners. If you don't know what they look like google Melos spinner. You tie them to your line with an improved clinch knot and cast them out as far as possible. You reel in quite fast. Do this repeatedly. If a worm doesn't work these will! And haha this thread reminds me much of my very first thread asking how to fly fish when I knew nothing! Were in the same boat only I alreay know how to spinning reel fish! All the best. :D

• Advertisement

Well on closer inspection of my gear I have:
    A 3.6m telescopic rod(thats near 12 feet I think, its huge) It says on the side its casting weight is 120-180g(whatever that means). A reel is attached to it, with some line. The line itself seems like it would snap very easily.
    An assortment of weights,
    An assortment of hooks
    Some feathers for mackerel I presume, all different colors,
    A lure, which weighs 75g and resembles a small fish, says "lead fish star" on the packet.
    Another little lure which is basically a hook, with a patterned "keyring" sticking out of it. It is very light.
    A few other even smaller lures like the one above.

Unfortunately there is no floats, although there is a bundle of used wine corks, which would serve the same purpose I suppose?

So my shopping list should consist of:

New line,
    Floats.
    Bait.

What else should I be getting? I cant help but feel that the rod is a bit too big. Another thing I noticed is that all the hooks are barbed. Surely that would damage the fish more when I am removing it to release him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

get some bank sticks with a rod rest...very handy to leave your rod on when reading your book ..lol.. better than leaving your rod on the ground...get a bait box(very cheap) for keeping your bait in...a good rain mack(it'll probably be your best buy) a disgorger would also be a good buy if your a beginner too...anything else i think off i'll let you know

get some bank sticks with a rod rest...very handy to leave your rod on when reading your book ..lol.. better than leaving your rod on the ground...get a bait box(very cheap) for keeping your bait in...a good rain mack(it'll probably be your best buy) a disgorger would also be a good buy if your a beginner too...anything else i think off i'll let you know
    Cheers mate! Does the rod sound ok to you?

A rod is a rod I suppose. I will probably be fishing on the boyne if thats relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

it is on the big side alright...12ft rods tend to be used by carp anglers,pike anglers and beach casters...if your river fishing you find it very cumbersum and getting tangled up in trees weeds etc casting in tight areas isnt fun with a big awkward rod...if the reel is ok you get a nice cheap 8ft or 10ft rod for small money...i had two good reels and got two smashing 8fts for 25 squid a piece in the local shop...they do me grand anyway

Ah, thats not bad money at all! I will give it a bash with my current rod first.

Keep it simple, don't go forking out money for rod stands when you don't even have floats etc. Find out whether you like fishing first or not. And the thing that has metal bait that has a small treble hook and maybe a keyring type thing, is a spinner. There great for perch, as long as there small. 12Foot rod did me grand when I started off, just build up your baits and lures and other essentials before you buy "luxuries" like a rod stand, you won't really need one anyway as you'll have a float.

If I decide to give the spinner a go, how exactly should I do it? Put a weight on somewhere? Doesn't seem weighty enough to cast.

Yeah I will keep it simple for now :)

No don't put on any weight, just cast it out as far as possible (which won't be very far) and reel in at a steady fast pace immediately. look it up on youtube. How to use a spinner.

Advertisement