Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovation quote in sth dublin

Options
  • 12-07-2010 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

hi

we are looking to renovate a 35 year old house in south Dublin. House is semi d with 5 beds - and a rocky kitchen extn to the back.

WE asked for quote to

internally insulate the whole house
    rewire
    replumb
    put in an ensuite and walk in wardrobe (by losing a bedroom)
    fill in floors with concrete
    new doors and skirts and archtraves (veneered oak with painted mdf skirts/architraves)
    new front door
    four new windows (other are all newly done)
    pumped shower system
    paint
    convert a garage into a room
    quote for this excluding bathroom fittings but incl semi solid wodden floors was 56K

Quote to knock existing extn and two block sheds and rebuild new one (8m * 5m) 45K - incl a big 4metre sliding door, two velux and small window at sink
    Price not including kitchen

am I mad thinking that its pretty high ! or is this reasonable??

opinions or thoughts??? is it better to look for builders from outside dublin??

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

IMHO, you are mad thinking that quote is unreasonable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 roseinthegarden

thanks - that cost does not include VAT.

can you let me know what you think the break down of the costs would be i.e. where money could be saved - if at all?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Even excluding VAT, this still seems a very good price.

Ask the builder for a breakdown of the costs - you should always get even a basic breakdown. Virtually impossible to advise you (without having the detail) how you might reduce the cost.

If the works are over your budget, decide what work you can live without and/or sit down with the builder, tell him your budget and see how together you might reduce costs/make omissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Don't think it sounds too bad. The best way checking it is get a few more quotes. We got our 1st quote and thought it was off the wall. After 5 quotes we quickly discovered it wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 smokeyjoe321

hi

the price for the 8m x 5m €45k is not to far off, i recently built a 40sqm extention for a client in the dublin area for €37k ex vat, shop around, but beware of the lowest bidder they usualy only result in poor quality work and building regulations go out the window

• Advertisement
Advertisement