Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buzzing noise from battery charger ?

Options
  • 12-07-2010 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    My leisure battery charger makes a fairly loud buzz when I'm plugged in to the mains.
    It never bothered me before, but we had our first trip away with our baby (7 months) this weekend to Salthill and the buzzing was really noticeable (especially when we were trying to be quiet when she was asleep).

Is this normal ? Can I fix it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

It could be the wire winding on the transformer humming, they get a bit slack with age and can humm, You could put some insulation tape around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

I wouldn't . In case there's a problem with it , and it overheats . The tape would melt and burn .

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    I wouldn't . In case there's a problem with it , and it overheats . The tape would melt and burn .

Insulation tape should be made to take some heat and the transformer shouldn't get up to more than 70C. Was going to suggest nail or hoby varish on the winding but that could eat the existing varnish and cause a short. He could use tape temportally to see if it's the fault and then find a better way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Good idea then , Batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mlmcelligott

leave it alone, if it ain't broken then don't fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Giving the melting possibility etc. I think I'll leave well enough alone....

How much is a new one ?

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Giving the melting possibility etc. I think I'll leave well enough alone....

How much is a new one ?

You won't see much change of 200, you could always hook it up at home to get the battery full charged then charge it during the day if the battey goes low.

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/Caravan/electric/Zig_components/Zig_CF9_Transformer-_Charger.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

If you're adventurous and it's a winding that makes the noise you could try something like this instead of tape:

http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=searchProducts&searchTerm=199-1480&x=0&y=0

Has the noise become louder over the time? If there are capacitors in the circuit (and the charger is several years old) it could be them beginning to fail.

Advertisement