Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kestrel

Options
  • 12-07-2010 3:13pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭

I saw what I thought was a kestrel this morning at about 8:30am. It may have been a hobby although it looked a little big for that. My question is, does anyone know if Kestrels frequent that area. I know bushy park is near by and I'm sure there is ample nesting sites there. Also plenty of Sparrow Hawks around Terenure/Rathfarnham. Would it be usual for Sparrow Hawks and Kestrels to share the same airspace?

And finally, if it's not a kestrel, can anybody think what it might be?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Kestrels are common throughout Ireland and can be found in areas with Sparrowhawks.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

Kestrels are common throughout Ireland and can be found in areas with Sparrowhawks.

What about in Terenure???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Why not Terenure? They are found in Urban and Rural environs throughout Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Smartypantsdig

I see them lots around Bushy Park and on the verge of the motorway/dual carriageway at Cheeverstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

thefly wrote: »
    I saw what I thought was a kestrel this morning at about 8:30am. It may have been a hobby although it looked a little big for that. My question is, does anyone know if Kestrels frequent that area. I know bushy park is near by and I'm sure there is ample nesting sites there. Also plenty of Sparrow Hawks around Terenure/Rathfarnham. Would it be usual for Sparrow Hawks and Kestrels to share the same airspace?

And finally, if it's not a kestrel, can anybody think what it might be?

Thanks

If it was hovering, then it was most likely a kestrel. They are quite common all over Ireland.

And yep a sparrowhawk and kestrel will co exist within reason unless one comes too close to the nest of the other or food is scarce.

• Advertisement
Advertisement