Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any way i could get free fee's?

Options
  • 12-07-2010 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Have rang s.w. and the VEC but they havent really given me any info so hopefully someone can advise me here. In 08 I was doing my level 8 but became pregnant just after Christmas. Due to being so sick, I missed so much classes and with the pressure of it all, left in the April. Spoke to my year head, deferred exams, dissertation etc but never got back to doing them. Applied to repeat the yr as i really want to get my Hons but was told I'd have to pay fees of 4000. Cant get in touch with college now to further discuss it and don't know if I should apply for BTEA (I'm on one parent family allowance) or could i get a grant again or anything to help. Really don't have the money to pay the fees anyway.Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

venusdoom wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Have rang s.w. and the VEC but they havent really given me any info so hopefully someone can advise me here. In 08 I was doing my level 8 but became pregnant just after Christmas. Due to being so sick, I missed so much classes and with the pressure of it all, left in the April. Spoke to my year head, deferred exams, dissertation etc but never got back to doing them. Applied to repeat the yr as i really want to get my Hons but was told I'd have to pay fees of 4000. Cant get in touch with college now to further discuss it and don't know if I should apply for BTEA (I'm on one parent family allowance) or could i get a grant again or anything to help. Really don't have the money to pay the fees anyway.Thanks.

If you are repeating a year then as far as I know you must pay the fee's as the state will not fund repeats but then after that when you advance into the next year I am sure I read that the state will pay for the remainder.

Check studentfinance website.

There's a contingency in the grant specifications that you can repeat a year and get the grant if you have extenuating circumstances, and the usual issues are health or finance issues. For the grant you should get in contact with the Council/VEC you were dealing with before.

http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/he_heg_scheme.pdf?language=EN
    7.2 A grant is tenable for the normal duration of the approved course and is renewable annually subject to satisfactory attainment and the approval of the local authority, subject to the terms of Clause 7.6. Grants may not be paid in respect of a repeat year of study on the same course. A local authority shall have discretion to waive this provision in exceptional circumstances, such as certified serious illness.

Good luck.

Advertisement