Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Focus Fuel gauge died

Options
  • 12-07-2010 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

have a 00 focus and the fuel gague is stuck on about 3/4 full. Started acting up last week when it after it was showing empty after been filled. Thought it fixed itself by showing full again but last night filled it up it was about half empty and was showing 3/4 full before and after!
    Probably going to change soon so don't want to be spending too much on the car at this stage. Are there a couple of things that could be causing this (gauge vs sensor)? and any ideas how much to get it fixed or would it be small job I could do myself if I source parts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

You don't need to start the engine, just turn on the ignition whilst holding down the trip reset button. I've heard of the dash dials acting up on the focus due to a malfunctioning vehicle speed sensor. It might be worth checking out.

A quick google on the problem brings up this:
    Ford Focus 1999 and Mondeo upto 2001

Problem: Inaccurate reading of the fuel gauge.

Solution: A common situation is the fuel gauge reading zero after a fill-up. The problem is caused by a faulty fuel pump module which will have a poor / open circuit contact. A new revised fuel level sender card assembly should be fitted.

And this:
    Ford Focus 1998 to 1999

Problem: Trip computer inaccurate/faulty fuel gauge.

Solution: This problem is probably caused by an inconsistent contact or open circuit in the fuel tank sender unit and should be solved by installing a new fuel tank sender unit.

From here

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭privateBeavis

Thanks for the info just tried that diagnostics check and its reading
    DTC code 9202 and going by this link
    its a "Fuel Sender Open Circuit"!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Fill it up to the brim and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭privateBeavis

Did that yesterday evening and it was still showing about 3/4 full

Advertisement