Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overlining?

Options
  • 11-07-2010 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

i currently have a 7/8 rod line and reel. ive just been given a 5/6 rod. im thinking about putting the 7/8 line and reel on the 5/6 rod. ive heard this will not balance correctly. i dont no what this really means. the fish wont no i have a unbalanced rod?:eek:

im just wonder what will happen if i overline the rod?

im only fishing on rivers at the moment, so thats why i want to use the smaller weight rod.

cheers,

keith

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

Shouldnt make too much of a difference. Since your only fishing rivers with it your not going to be loading the rod too much while casting, if anything it will probably make it a bit easier to cast in tighter quarters and wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 keithn4

Pokes wrote: »
    Shouldnt make too much of a difference. Since your only fishing rivers with it your not going to be loading the rod too much while casting, if anything it will probably make it a bit easier to cast in tighter quarters and wind.

cheers pokes. ill give it a try and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

If you are making longer casts (which as Pokes says, on a river you probably won't be) the heavier line will make the rod seem much softer. You will lose some presentation as well - a 7 or 8 # line is going to cause more of a disturbance than a 5#

okedoke

just tried it there in the garden, so easy to shoot line for short distance, will have to see how the presentation is

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

For short casts they all work better with a heavier line.
    It gets the required weight into the air, to bend the rod and make it function.

The AFTM line weight system assumes 30 feet of line is weighed, to calculate the "casting" weight" the rod is god for.

• Advertisement

coolwings wrote: »
    For short casts they all work better with a heavier line.
    It gets the required weight into the air, to bend the rod and make it function.

The AFTM line weight system assumes 30 feet of line is weighed, to calculate the "casting" weight" the rod is god for.

so probaly not a wise idea to cast much longer than 10-15yrds?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

No different from tying on a large spinner onto a light spinning rod.
    Not the nicest combination, could be a lighter spinner or a heavier rod, but it still works and gets the job done.
    The heavier weight bends the rod further down. So a tip action rod becomes a tip and middle action rod when used with long line or heavy line.
    From a practical consideration, it slows the rod's action and makes it more soft action. Timing of the initiation of the return is less critical.
    That suits beginners better.
    With a light line on a tip action (fast action) rod, timing is more critical, and that suits experts better.

I wouldn't get worked up too much about it unless the whole rod feels very floppy, bendy and powerless. If it gets that bad, you are likely to break your rod just above the handle by trying too hard!

Advertisement