Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to identify a Bird

Options
  • 11-07-2010 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I am trying to find out the identity of a bird that landed on my balcony for a few seconds before flying away. It was olive green and about the same size as a Starling. It also had a orangey / Red spot on top of the beak close to the eyes. I have a good variety of birds visiting my feeders, including Greenfinches, Goldfinches, all types of Tits and starlings. Right in front of my apartment is a golf course and there is a large area of scrubland. Anyone have any ideas ? Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Sounds unusual. What part of the world are you in?

Have you looked up Green Woodpecker? Green with red. That would be intriguing if in Ireland...

The odd Female Golden Oriole turns up in Ireland, especially on the south coast, but don't think they have any red.

Try http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdidentifier/form.aspx for some other native/natural possibilities.

Escapee from private collection also possible. Parakeet?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Sticky Fingers

No, it isn't a Green Woodpecker or a Parakeet as those two are far more colourful than the one I saw. The entire body of the bird was a light / dull olive green, the only coloured part was an orangey / red dot over the beak, between the eyes. This is why I knew it was unusual, I have never seen anything like it here in Ireland. I live near Greystones in Wicklow. I had a quick look at that site, but I will look a bit more closely. It is very intriguing !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Did you catch the shape of the beak?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Sticky Fingers

Yes, it was just about the same shape and size as a Starling. Same colour too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Redpoll perhaps?
    http://www.birding.com/images/8746cr.jpg
    Bit smaller than starling though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Could the red have been caused by it feeding on my Raspberries, or the Red Currants, or the Strawberries or cherr....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Mothman wrote: »
    Could the red have been caused by it feeding on my Raspberries, or the Red Currants, or the Strawberries or cherr....
    good point

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Juvenile starlings can be matt tanny brown colour might be worth exploring too...

Advertisement