Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mulkear(Limerick) in Spate

Options
  • 10-07-2010 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

I'm assuming the Mulkear is now in spate after the heavy rain for the past couple of days. I'll be out in the morning to try my luck. Anyone landed anything on it this summer? From what I heard it's very slow this year and I haven't heard of anyone pulling anything out of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Hlanaayes

So I made it out at 2 p.m. (much later than I planned but I slept it out!). Much to my delight the river was in great nick. It was at least 1m higher than the last time I was out(about a month ago) and 5ft. is probably closer. There's was a decent current running through the holding pools, with a savage current everywhere else. I used worm all day long. I got a small bite early on but went for him too early and he was gone. He seemed to be small anyway whatever it was. Moments before I was lucky to see an otter bang in the middle of the river, breaching the surface with his catch. He had a nice size fish but was too far away to make out what he had - going by the size I'd say a salmon though. My only catch of the day was a medium sized eel, around 40-45cm. I've never caught or eaten one before so I took him out and will clean and fry him later.

I was very pleased with the conditions and will try and make it out another couple of times during the week.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

viper123 wrote: »

Ooops didn't know there was a size regulation on these my bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

Hlanaayes wrote: »
    Ooops didn't know there was a size regulation on these my bad.

No fishing what so ever for eels:
    Eels

Eel fishing is closed until 2012. The prospect of re-opening the eel fishery will be considered at that time, following a review of the data collated as a result of scientific sampling provided for in the draft plan.
    • Bye-law No C.S. 303, 2009 prohibits fishing for eel, or possessing or selling eel caught in a Fishery District in the State until June 2012.
    • Bye-Law No 858, 2009 prohibits the issue of eel fishing licences by the regional fisheries boards in any Fishery District.
    wgsten
    http://www.irishflyfisher.ie/

Oh o.k. wasn't aware of this but ignorance is no excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

wgsten wrote: »
    No fishing what so ever for eels:
    Eels

]

the thing is most anglers in Ireland consider eels an utter pest and if they are caught, mostly on worm/maggot they are killed

Advertisement