Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly fishing gear for beginners

Options
  • 10-07-2010 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Hi all
    just wondering if you could point me in the right direction regarding fly fishing rods & reels, i want to take up river fly fishing. I mostly fish the river bandon & a few other spate rivers around west cork.

I did a bit of research on the net & I am leaning towards the Greys GRXI+ rod & reel, or the Sharpes The Aberdeen 2, the only thing putting me off is the price tag for both of these.

can anyone reccomend any other rods & reels?
    also any advice on whether i should get a single/double hander & what length, weight rod for salmon fishing?
    cheers TimMac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cojack101

This is what I got to start off with.

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=30001&catalogId=1500002201&langId=-1&searchTerms=fly+fishing

Cant fault it. The flies are crap and you'll need to buy some leader line, but the rod and reel work perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

Im in the same boat, ive 100 euro to spend in dublin on a rod, reel, line, leader and a few flies to get going, anyone any suggestions for deals in any of the tackle shops around dublin? No online stores please. Oh no offence but that argos kit, my mate got the same one a while back and its way over priced for the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 keithn4

this was the rods i was looking at before i got one given to me. :D:D:D
    http://www.johnnorris.co.uk/shop/ty_...it-ljns34.html

http://www.johnnorris.co.uk/shop/ty_...it-ljns33.html

http://www.johnnorris.co.uk/shop/ty_...it-ljns35.html

you can also just buy rod reel and line for less 100e including shipping. as far as i know. the rods have got some excellent reviews.

keithn4 wrote: »
    I think this ones the only one worth considering as the other two are fairly short fly rods. This is a 9'6".

Thanks for this mate thats a really good deal there, only thing is i myself would prefer to buy in a brick and mortar tackle shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

Cheers cojack101
    plenty of flies got given a bag of them, thats the main reason i want to get into the fly fishing.
    were you using that argos rod for trout or salmon or both?

• Advertisement

TimMac wrote: »
    Cheers cojack101
    plenty of flies got given a bag of them, thats the main reason i want to get into the fly fishing.
    I think salmon rods are a bit bigger, not sure though.

cheers rycn
    they look like good value alright & around my budget.
    would they be suitable for salmon fishing?

cheers Kieth
    would they be suitable for salmon fishing?[/QUOTE]

cheers rycn
    Im sure it would do the job although im not the most fluent in flyfishing specifics, im sure one of the more knowledgeable lads will be around to give some proper advice soon enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 keithn4

cheers Kieth
    [/QUOTE]

I'm not two if they any good for salmon. I'm a beginner myself. you probably would need heaver for salmon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

yes you will need a better rod for salmon...those rods are all trout rods...rods come in all weights and lengths, but generally speaking shorter rods with a light line rating are not strong enough for a salmon...i think that argos rod is over priced for the quality...better to contact the better tackle shops and ask if they have anything second hand

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭cj salmon

http://www.fishingirelandcentre.com/shop/second_hand.php

try pat,give him a bell he will put you right,a gentleman,and very helpful.what he dont know bout salmon with the fly rod aint worth knowing ;) plenty of new and second hand salmon rods!!

check out that redington red fly 14 foot rod,, have used the 10 foot single hand before,an excellent casting tool!!!

think he still does casting lessons,,but you might want to look closer to home,try blackwate lodge ballyduff waterford,this may be dvisable to do before you buy a rod to see what suits you and try a couple out

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cojack101

Cheers cojack101

I use it for trout in Sheelin. Im sure their are plenty better rods out there. Just I only started 2 or 3 months ago and its doing grand for me!

If you looking for anyone to go fishing with keep me in mind haha.

yes you will need a better rod for salmon...those rods are all trout rods...rods come in all weights and lengths, but generally speaking shorter rods with a light line rating are not strong enough for a salmon...i think that argos rod is over priced for the quality...better to contact the better tackle shops and ask if they have anything second hand
    cheers
    what size should i be looking at, no less than 13ft?

cj salmon wrote: »
    http://www.fishingirelandcentre.com/shop/second_hand.php

try pat,give him a bell he will put you right,a gentleman,and very helpful.what he dont know bout salmon with the fly rod aint worth knowing ;) plenty of new and second hand salmon rods!!

check out that redington red fly 14 foot rod,, have used the 10 foot single hand before,an excellent casting tool!!!

think he still does casting lessons,,but you might want to look closer to home,try blackwate lodge ballyduff waterford,this may be dvisable to do before you buy a rod to see what suits you and try a couple out
    Thanks for that CJ, redington looks like a nice rod might pop in there next time im passing often wondered where his shop was.
    so should i be looking for a 13 to 15 ft double or single hander?.
    i did a bit more looking at the greys grxi+.
    sweet rod & reel and it can be used for saltwater if i catch that bug as welll.

Advertisement