Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meaning of "'S é'n trua nach mise bean Pháidín"

Options
  • 10-07-2010 9:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

If I figure it out correctly this translates as "It is a pity that I'm not Páidín's wife".

Am I right? Please say so :o because that would mean that I am finally getting on in the understanding of Irish without consulting myriads of dictionaries and grammar books first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭gaeilgeboy

stephanus wrote: »
    If I figure it out correctly this translates as "It is a pity that I'm not Páidín's wife".

Am I right? Please say so :o because that would mean that I am finally getting on in the understanding of Irish without consulting myriads of dictionaries and grammar books first.

Go díreach é, that's how I'd translate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭stephanus

Phew! That's just what I neede, a little confirmation. I have just had a super browse through some basic Irish grammar sections and I was really getting frustrated because I simply couldn't imagine how I would ever ever ever cram all that stuff into my head.
    I mean the tense system of Irish is quite straightforward. But all that copulainfrontofavowelpreterite and initialmutationheryesthereno stuff was beginning to get me down.

But now I know that I have to tackle things step by step and understanding that song line and being confirmed in having understood it correctly gives me back my confidence. :D
    After all, I wouldn't have understood it only last week so here's the rate how fast I'm improving! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

'S an bhean atá aige bheith caillte

What do you think that line means?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭gaeilgeboy

What do you think that line means?

In the context, I'd say "It's a pity that I'm not Páidín's wife, and that his wife isn't lost", nó rud éigin mar sin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

gaeilgeboy wrote: »
    In the context, I'd say "It's a pity that I'm not Páidín's wife, and that his wife isn't lost", nó rud éigin mar sin.

and that his wife be dead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭stephanus

That'd fit the context. As far as I have figured it out the singer curses Páidín's wife because she herself did not make it to that position.

"Go mbristear do chosa 's do lámha" is another part of the song I understand: "May your feet and your hands break". Right?

Apart from the fact that I feel awfully sorry for Páidín's wife it is a song I really have come to like. I have found an interpretation on youtube from TG4 and one from an 1980's Planxty gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

stephanus wrote: »
    "Go mbristear do chosa 's do lámha" is another part of the song I understand: "May your feet and your hands break". Right?

May your feet and hands be broken.

caillte = lost
    but you'll hear it used for when people die.

May the wife that he has die.

It's quite a funny song, one that I could always hum along to but was a little shocked when realised what it was about:)

Advertisement