Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just need to rant

Options
  • 10-07-2010 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

Im going to rant.
    I went out last night with my husband , after a really hard week.We got the kids shipped off and where looking forward to a quite drink, and a chance to catch up.
    We went to a local pub in Balbriggan.
    We where there from 8.30-12.30 .
    While there we seen so much fighting that it was scary.I had nightmares last night.One of the customers ,got really drunk and threatened to come back next week and burn the place down.There was also glass broken and a lot of fights.Now maybe , it was a bad night ?But it was just , well, not on!
    These werent kids, teenagers, but men in their 50s and men in their 30s.
    I just felt scared ,walking out the pub door.I had to sneek a peek first tomake sure they had gone home.It was unbelievable.I meet a friend there who had his brother home from England and was showing him the town that he lives in,His brother will go home with an terrible image of Balbriggan.
    Rant over.Cathy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

that is scary stuff and not what you want on a night out, it is a while since i have been out in balbriggan. There are one or two places that I would avoid if I was going out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

This place had in the past a lot of trouble.But, it was cleaned up and the customers seemed to be more mature.it was disgraceful behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

cathy01 wrote: »
    This place had in the past a lot of trouble.But, it was cleaned up and the customers seemed to be more mature.it was disgraceful behaviour.

What place was it? The only place in Balbriggan for a decent quiet pint is the hotel imo.

Thanks hitman, I wont name the place as I dont want to get banned.Maybe next time Ill hit the hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

cathy01 wrote: »
    Thanks hitman, I wont name the place as I dont want to get banned.Maybe next time Ill hit the hotel.

Well as someone who goes out in Balbriggan 2/3 times a month i know theres a few places i'd be avoiding and im only 30. Balrothery Inn a few miles outside the town is also a decent place with no trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,756 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi Cathy. You won't get banned for posting about something you witnessed. It is only hearsay and rumours are problematic.

Thanks HB.I wouldnt want the pub to get a bad name as I am sure(well sort of ) that it is not a regular occurance.
    Thanks anyway,Cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 22,756 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A pleasure. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Not having a go at you but why didn't you just got up and left? There are more than one pub in BB so enduring that kind of atmosphere for 4 hours just doesn't seem logical to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I lived in Balbriggan for a year and while there are tons of great people, there is a thug-ish element in the town and I'm not sorry I haven't set foot in it since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Balbriggan is a bit of a rough kip to drink in to be honest. I'm just home now from a night out there and witnessed a fist fight over nothing in the chipper while I was waiting for my chips.

Without naming any places, Cathy you didn't happen to be drinking in either a pub that had some 'gentlemen' in court recently with respect to the the demise of its previous incarnation or one that is on the banks of the Bracken river?

Also agree about the B-Inn, although I may be biased seeing as it is only a 2 minute walk from my house. :D

another nice pub to drink in although not in balbriggan itself is mc cormacks in balscadden

we did get up and leave , actually we had to wait a bit untill things settled down.The first few things where handled ok I thought but the one before we left was just bang out of order.
    The staff in the pub are lovely and helpful, there is a door man, so you would think its safe(ish) .It was the amount of drink, combined with bad manners I think.
    I do hope it was a once off.
    thanks,cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Sorry to hear about your night out being ruined Cathy. I'm sure such occasions are relatively rare seeing as you have children. If it's the pub I think you are talking about I'd say it was an isolated event and you were simply unlucky as the new proprietors have done a 180 in the running of it as far as I know.

Hopefully you will have many more enjoyable nights out to come! :)

Well, my next night out is July 31.Thats how rare they are :D
    I know the pub your talking about and yes, its been turned around since last year.
    thanks again,cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Sorry to hear about your experience Cathy! I think it is fair to say we all know which pub you are talking about so no need to tarnish its reputation in my opinion. I'm only in the area a few months but have found the local pubs great for getting to know the locals..very welcoming! Usually only get the 1 night out a month too so try to make sure it will be a good one ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

balbriggan all my life...

i know the pub you speak of and im sorry, i wont name it, but anyone who knows the town avoids that pub and one further "down" the road from it for good reason, yes it looks nice and the staff are good, you can have a decent beer in there on a week night but defend it all you want I can tell you that its not safe enough, my friends agree and we never ever go there. They have to bar these troublemakers, its known that anyone barred from the more reputable pubs simply make their way there and its my opinion that until these folks are kicked out they are the only clients these places will have. Its ruined two potentially good night spots.

Another point... some posters obviously DONT know what you're talking about, Balbriggan is NOT rough, your experience of it may have been and if so im surprised, i've grown up there going out, I dont wear blinkers, I disticntly avoid and hate fights and have thankfully seen only a handful in my lifetime, not because the DONT happen, but because I go to pubs where the ARENT tolerated.

You want a decent night, then go to The Harvest or Milestone lounge OR bar (my local) or the hotel. McCormacks can be ok, the Central is alright but there can be a strange crowd in there. O'Sheas is full of drunk young people but I enjoy going there sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Lets be honest this thuggish stuff is not confined to Balbriggan and goes on in most towns in Ireland. Its sad to think anyone feels so threathened in a pub.

I was watching people in Italy over the past few weeks and one big difference is they seem to go out for a drink to have a relaxing time and not just get "Full". They enjoyed their few beers and off they went. Here some of seem to think we have to get P****d at the week end.

Mind you I was advised to keep away from a few bars

LeoB wrote: »
    Lets be honest this thuggish stuff is not confined to Balbriggan and goes on in most towns in Ireland. Its sad to think anyone feels so threathened in a pub.

True it can happen anywhere and I agree Balbriggan is no different to anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaulD77

Morphéus wrote: »
    balbriggan all my life...

i know the pub you speak of and im sorry, i wont name it, but anyone who knows the town avoids that pub and one further "down" the road from it ...

You want a decent night, then go to The Harvest or Milestone lounge OR bar (my local) or the hotel. McCormacks can be ok, the Central is alright but there can be a strange crowd in there. O'Sheas is full of drunk young people but I enjoy going there sometimes.

OK, your not going to name it, but then name every other pub in the town that are good to go to :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement