Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Development Workshops

Options
  • 09-07-2010 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Was in today (Aaron) and got chatting to a few of the lads about Android development. I've got a wealth of C programming knowledge under my belt and I'm currently teaching myself Java (although I'll also be learning that for the next three years in college). I already downloaded the Android SDK for Linux and am looking at putting some of my Java to good use in developing apps, if even just for the point of learning/for my own amusement.

Anyone else interested in Android workshops?

Cheers,
    thecosmicfrog)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bosmedia

I might join you Aaron, am looking at getting a HTC Desire!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

They're seriously awesome phones, Barry. Two things stopped me, the price-tag and the fact that it's bill pay. Until I have a steady income I like the freedom of Pay-As-You-Go.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭heepie

I'm definitely gonna be starting an app pretty soon for the Android. I recently finished doing this for gnome (ubuntu)

http://realtimesunlightwallpaper.weebly.com/

and I was thinking on doing the same thing for Android as it was a small enough project to learn to ropes with in GTK and I thought it would be easy enough as well for Android

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Definitely be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Just came across this little tool... http://appinventor.googlelabs.com/about/

• Advertisement

@gerryk

Nice little tool to make quick easy app but I wonder how powerful and customizable is for more complex apps. I'll definitely give it a try. Thank you for the info

Signed up to get App Inventor, should get a link to download it soon, fingers crossed.

Same here:)

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Private Joker

anyone get this yet, can't wait to play around with it.

still waiting....:confused:

• Advertisement

Same.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Private Joker

Just been given access to app inventor, can't wait to play around with it. Anone else get access yet?

I got the invitation earlier this week as well and I've watched a couple of the introduction/tutorials videos, but I haven't tried yet.

I have some ideas on a couple simple apps I would like to try as soon as get some spear time.

I got it too, forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭hk797

Thanks to everyone who made tonights workshop. Links discussed tonight are below as promised. We will decide on starter projects next Wednesday @ 7pm. If you think of any other links worth sharing before then add them below this post.

Knowledge navigator concept video

Android idea apps for Ireland

Bruce Sterling talk on augmented reality

Siri - virtual personal assistant acquired by Apple

I updated the 091labs.com wiki with an Android workshop page with some of the things we talk about yesterday and imported the links from Atrium into the wiki.

Now we have to come up with some really cool projects to work on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭hk797

Android workshop tonight at 7pm in Exchange House for those interested. Dave Kelly is giving a talk on Web Design at 6pm for those interested. No need to prebook just turnup.

Advertisement