Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeder Fishing

Options
  • 09-07-2010 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I recently bought some feeders as I hear they are good. However all I have are match rods, are these suitable for feeder fishing or are quiver tips necessary?

Can you use floats instead and if so how would you go about setting it up so you notice all the bites (I imagine if you can use floats the weight of the feeder would make you miss bites)

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

You didn't say what kind of fish you're fishing for.
    But most people use a quivertip rod bite detection approach along with the feeder.

There is no reason why a float won't work, but the quivertip is more common by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Turbo Turtle

Cheers for that, Be using it for coarse fishing mainly fir tench I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

I recently bought some feeders as I hear they are good. However all I have are match rods, are these suitable for feeder fishing or are quiver tips necessary?

Can you use floats instead and if so how would you go about setting it up so you notice all the bites (I imagine if you can use floats the weight of the feeder would make you miss bites)

Thanks

Hi Turbo Turtle. A quivertip rod would by far be the best solution as you would have several tip strengths and could change them depending on what fish you were after etc.
    A float rod will have a much stiffer tip section and therefore would really not work well for this type of fishing. However to save you a few quid on having to buy a new rod there is an option for you. . Get yourself one of these:

http://www.mullarkeys.co.uk/fishing/coarse-fishing-tackle/match-fishing-accessories/0/polaris-kombat/6950/

They attach to the rod near the reel and give instant bite detection and you could ultimately use them on any rod other than a feeder (quivertip) rod. You can purchase them in most good tackle shops over here and they would retail at around €12 to €15.
    Hope that helps. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Turbo Turtle

thanks for the advice, I normally fish the Royal Canal so think I'll stick to just hand balling the bait for the moment, as it is not too wide in any spot to pick it out with the hand and save up for a new rod(can never have to many!!).

Advertisement