Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Securewatch panel - faulty input?

Options
  • 09-07-2010 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hello All,

I've been experiencing problems on a HKC panel. The front door is not indicating open as it should, hence when somebody enters the alarm is activated.

I've tried fault-finding by replacing the cable running from the door sensor and have checked the door itself. This has not solved the problem. Swapping the door sensor onto another input temporarily has shown it to work correctly. Placing a meter on the wires has indicated a resistance > 200k when the door is open, hence I believe there could be a fault on the panel itself. Anybody seen this before?

I'm considering placing a high value resistor (e.g. 10k) resistor on the return wire from the door sensor to help pull it to ground.

Thanks,

Leo

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Do you have engineer access to this panel.?
    You need to check that the zone is not unused or on soak test.
    You could wire a cable direct into the panel & check if the zone closes when the cable is closed and opens when the cables are disconnected. This will be dependent on the resistance on the cable matching what's programmed in zone hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭altor

leo738 wrote: »
    Hello All,

I've been experiencing problems on a HKC panel. The front door is not indicating open as it should, hence when somebody enters the alarm is activated.

I've tried fault-finding by replacing the cable running from the door sensor and have checked the door itself. This has not solved the problem. Swapping the door sensor onto another input temporarily has shown it to work correctly. Placing a meter on the wires has indicated a resistance > 200k when the door is open, hence I believe there could be a fault on the panel itself. Anybody seen this before?

I'm considering placing a high value resistor (e.g. 10k) resistor on the return wire from the door sensor to help pull it to ground.

Thanks,

Leo

Hi Leo,

If you disconnect the zone from the panel and it shows closed it is more than likely an issue with the zone. Was there any resistors in the contact on the front door ?

If you have a spare zone on the panel you could wire it in there but you will need to have engineer access to the panel to change the zone type to entry/exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭leo738

Many thanks for the replies, I've discovered the fault - short circuit on 3 wires! The wire ran underneath some tiles so I can only imagine flexing on the tile due to traffic caused the insulation to be worn away. A supply line was supplying a positive voltage to the return side (on a different zone) - hence the difficulty in detecting the problem. A continuity/ resistance check test didn't show up the error as the meter provides it's only power supply. Only when checking voltages on the return side was the error apparent. Hope a couple of hours of my wasted time helps others! Leo

Many thanks for the replies, I've discovered the fault - short circuit on 3 wires! The wire ran underneath some tiles so I can only imagine flexing on the tile due to traffic caused the insulation to be worn away. A supply line was supplying a positive voltage to the return side (on a different zone) - hence the difficulty in detecting the problem. A continuity/ resistance check test didn't show up the error as the meter provides it's only power supply. Only when checking voltages on the return side was the error apparent. Hope a couple of hours of my wasted time helps others! Leo

Good to see you got it sorted Leo, strange how when you ran a new cable you still had the same fault. At lease you have it sorted now. Cables installed this way can cause faults.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Where were the EOL resistors?:confused::rolleyes:
    They wouldn't have been in the panel.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭leo738

Just to clarify: Altor - to be honest the procedure I tried was replacing only the two wires to the door/ entry sensor as this was were the fault appeared. After replacing these the problem migrated to a different zone! Suppose I'm unlucky that 3 wires were shorted, not just 1 or 2! Koolkid - non EOL's on the system. Thanks again for the input! Leo

Just to clarify: Altor - to be honest the procedure I tried was replacing only the two wires to the door/ entry sensor as this was were the fault appeared. After replacing these the problem migrated to a different zone! Suppose I'm unlucky that 3 wires were shorted, not just 1 or 2! Koolkid - non EOL's on the system. Thanks again for the input! Leo

Once you got it sorted Leo thats the main thing ;)

Single or duel EOL would have indentified that problem straight away.

koolkid wrote: »
    Single or duel EOL would have indentified that problem straight away.

Agreed ;)

Advertisement