Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Airbags

Options
  • 09-07-2010 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

This might be a 'how long is a piece of string' question but what would be an average cost to reset driver and passenger side airbags?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Depends what you mean by reset?

Is the airbag light on?
    Was the car in a crash?
    Really would need a bit more info to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭leblanc

The airbags deployed! I was in a crash mid week and both went off.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

If they went off, then you need them replaced, fully. They can't be reset.

You should be able to get prices from garages, but it will all depend on the make/model and age of your vehicle.

The car is a Toyota corolla if that helps. My mechanic has sourced replacement parts for the damage to the exterior which is fine. However he says that the car will have to go to a Toyota dealership for the airbags and this, he thinks, could cost several grand?

Yikes! Still better to have to replace the airbags than reset bones.

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Airbags cost usually cost €450 each to replace.
    The seatbelt parts cost another €410 each to replace (had to get one replaced, to fix the SRS light).
    And this doesn't include labour, which can really up the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Motors

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Ive heard of deployed airbags writing off cars, and not just cheap cars either, so Id say youre looking at thousands to have them replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I re fitted airbags to a friends bora. The airbag control unit needed to be replaced as well, that was 490+vat from VW, and could only be got from them...

I got the whole lot privately including seat belts, control unit and tensioners for less than that. Fitted them too, they were fairly handy fit. Got them checked out after that and everything was ok.

I wouldn't go messing with them if you don't know what you're doing. You also may be unlucky and the passenger airbag might be a part of the dash unlike the bora which has a cover you can flick down. If it's a part of the dash you're looking at a good bit more.

1. Buy from a scrappie
    2. Don't fit them yourself

The guy who hit me better be well insured!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

leblanc wrote: »
    The guy who hit me better be well insured!

What's the car? Hit you from the behind?

Toyota corolla. Yip, rear ended me at a round-a-about. Still , both uninjured and thats the important thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

leblanc wrote: »
    Toyota corolla. Yip, rear ended me at a round-a-about. Still , both uninjured and thats the important thing

Why would you worried about the price of them so if you were in the right. I wouldnt be looking for cheap parts anyway. How did the front airbags go off if you were rearended.:confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

SARASON wrote: »
    Why would you worried about the price of them so if you were in the right. I wouldnt be looking for cheap parts anyway. How did the front airbags go off if you were rearended.:confused:

Where you are hit from is irrelevant in airbag deployment generally, particularly older cars. Sensor goes, airbags blow, end of. The sensors on old cars can be as simple as a ball in a tube that pops out if hit hard enough...

I've only ever heard of sensors being used for side/curtain bags anyway, the main driver/passenger ones I'd expect to go off in any crash hard enough for them to deploy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 the airbag man

the only people to talk to are <snip>ireland.com
    phone <snip>.
    in the airbag business a long time, easy to deal with and know their stuff.
    talk to keith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

the only people to talk to are <snip>ireland.com
    phone <snip>.
    in the airbag business a long time, easy to deal with and know their stuff.
    talk to keith

This post says you are Keith:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61090355#post61090355

But this post, like the post I've quoted, talks about Keith in the third person.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67218705#post67218705

It's kind of creepy, but be that as it may, please read the Charter and don't pimp your business or post phone numbers on-thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 the airbag man

contact <snip>ireland.com

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Did you just do the same thing again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

-Chris- wrote: »

It's kind of creepy, but be that as it may, please read the Charter and don't pimp your business or post phone numbers on-thread.

It's the recession mate, people need the business, charter or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Max_Damage wrote: »

I'd say Keith is up for a ban, and arguing with a Mod's decision on thread is usually a instant ban-able offense too. You're around long enough to know that Max! I'd love nothing more than to shill my business too, god knows I could do with the extra work, but it's not how things work around here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Max_Damage wrote: »

"rules are rules", Except when it suites , yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Stekelly wrote: »
    Did you just do the same thing again?

He did and he's now banned

Edit: Max Damage also banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

OK lads, leave it.

Post snipped, user banned

Advertisement