Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best mobile network for Mobile Data on iPhone

Options
  • 09-07-2010 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

I have had an iphone for the last two years with o2. While I find the 3g coverage fine I have serious issues with the voice coverage. Constantly dropping calls, no service, searching and people cant hear me and vice versa. I really thought in 2010 we would have decent quality voice service.

Anyway, I just got out of my o2 contract and thought it was a no brainer to move to Vodafone until I started hearing stories about Vodafone data being terrible, no edge and limited 3g, issues with voice signal when you have 3g coverage etc.

Just wondering what experiences other people have. I am generally in galway city, ballybrit, ardrahan, craughwell, gort, loughrea.

What is the best voice/data combination in Galway Country (and why) 19 votes

Vodafone
    0% 0 votes
    o2
    36% 7 votes
    Meteor
    47% 9 votes
    15% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

No problems with Vodafone reception anywhere I've been, that's why most businesses use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Meteor don't have the iPhone as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway County -> iPhone forum.
    I have VF, never a bother but then I try to use wifi wherever I am.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Never had a problem with VF coverage for iPhone anywhere in the country really. Their website is truly shocking, though, for checking your remaining texts, minutes of data. Unbelievably bad. With 3 now, and I believe there is something clashing with the iPhone software that makes the phone drop the signal, even though its in full 3G coverage, like its going to sleep or something. Not such a biggie, but I hope they fix it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

magicianz wrote: »

But he's out of contract so, like me, he can switch over to anyone and bring his iPhone with him.

I only switched on Saturday but so far I have noticed I'm more often in 3G than I was with o2. Mainly my apartment and office. But wifi both those places anyway.

Meteor smart €30 gave me more mins & texts & same data I was paying o2 €45 for and I got a subsidised phone to sell/pass on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭gfoster

They are selling the iphone to selective customers.

They bought a good few of them in from another company who sells them sim free.

Hmm so I can break my contract and move back to the good service of meteor.....UNREAL! :D can break my O2 contract cause of the planned price changes :P back to meteor :D I'm so happy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Hmm so I can break my contract and move back to the good service of meteor.....UNREAL! :D can break my O2 contract cause of the planned price changes :P back to meteor :D I'm so happy :D
    you'll need to get o2 to unlock it though :).

tbh i've tried all 4 of the major carriers here and meteor offer the best value.

30 euro gets me 200 minutes 200 texts free meteor texts/calls, 1 gig data all on a one month rolling contract, or if you're a data whore add 15 euro and you get 10gigs.

3 also have good deals but their coverage is dire (living in a town with population circa 30,000) and i was dropping calls left right and centre and sms' weren't sending.

vodafone, had alright everything but had an issue with them ages ago and i only use them like i use public toilets (in case of emergency).

o2, i found to have the best quality 3g. but priced them selves out of the market compared to meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

aren't you too late?

......D: i'm going to argue that they don't say 30/31 day month and see what happens :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

whiterebel wrote: »
    Never had a problem with VF coverage for iPhone anywhere in the country really. Their website is truly shocking, though, for checking your remaining texts, minutes of data. Unbelievably bad. With 3 now, and I believe there is something clashing with the iPhone software that makes the phone drop the signal, even though its in full 3G coverage, like its going to sleep or something. Not such a biggie, but I hope they fix it soon.

Keep an eye on that - my last couple of headsets with three did it, I'd drop a call, then it started not picking up the signal again til restarted. They changed sims, it helped a little, but not a lot, they looked at the network and saw a lot of congestion, and could do nothing with that. Eventually they had to let me out of contract, there was nothing else they could suggest.

Advertisement