Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP Camera's - Sending e-mails when motion is detected

Options
  • 09-07-2010 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi,
    Eircom customer and recently purchased an IP Camera. The camera is setup to send an e-mail when motion is detected. The e-mail settings used for the outgoing SMTP server is as follows:
    mail1.eircom.net and port number 25.

This is not working. Spoke with the IP camera manufacturer and all the settings are correct. But the e-mails are getting blocked at the Eircom SMTP server. Any idea on how to resolve? Troubleshooting for past week and getting pretty fustrated.

Thanks,
    Gerard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

eircom is definately the network the cameras are on?

They have to use the SMTP of whatever ISP they use, not your connection (I'm not assuming the cameras are on same DSL line as you use on eircom)

You can send email from same network connection as the camera?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Do Eircom require that you authenticate before using their SMTP server?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 minibob

watty wrote: »
    eircom is definately the network the cameras are on?

They have to use the SMTP of whatever ISP they use, not your connection (I'm not assuming the cameras are on same DSL line as you use on eircom)

You can send email from same network connection as the camera?

Thanks for the quick response. Yes it is a DSL connection - based in Limerick. I use Blacknight to host e-mail account. Normal e-mail works perfectly fine.
    Gerard

drBill wrote: »
    Do Eircom require that you authenticate before using their SMTP server?

No authentication required by Eircom.

Guys, solved this one. The IP address of the Eircom mail server had to be used.
    Thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

im using the same with axis network cameras, all i put in the camera mail settings is : mail1.eircom.net as mail server.

works fine

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

So either the IP cameras don't have DNS or you didn't enter a DNS server into the IP Cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Just curious what type of camera you have and how you find using it?

HAI - www.homeauto.com. Purchased at connectedhomes.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Cost, their site has no prices

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

Cost, their site has no prices

well i use the axis cams, bought from www.encom.ie

i find them great, i have a few, hooked up to dsl modems, set to motion detect, switch on lights etc.. they have pc based software that records onto a server or pc, which works very well, say if you had no internet connection.

very reliable too.. say you had 3 cameras plugged into your dsl modem, you can remotely connect to any of them and watch live... ( say you are on holidays etc)

they have a webserver built into them so all you do is plug one of the cameras into a dsl modem, you dont need to leave a pc on. the axis cameras are one of the better ones out there.
    some of the newer ones are POE so you only need to run 1 cable.

You need to give Connected Homes a call as some products are for professional installers. This IP camera hooks into a complete automation system - all IP based. Does all of the above with iPhone connectivity etc...

Cheers but don't deal with companies that have secret pricing that they change as the customer comes along.

Not all homeowners are familiar with installing IT type devices - thus like any trade you have professional installers and not the DIY market.
    Anyway happy with the purchase and price paid!

But how much did they cost you and what model cameras?

HAI Indoor/Outdoor IP Mini Dome Camera - Delivered for 438 Euro (Including VAT).

Advertisement