Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom Mural/wall image

Options
  • 09-07-2010 3:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm considering putting up a large picture (of some fish) above a bathtub. Ideally with a glass finish. It's something like you may see in a fancy swimming pool or hotel but I've no idea where would source it in Ireland.

The wall is currently tiled, does anyone have any options?

Two things I was considering was
    1/ Just pasting the large image as one large sheet of paper to the wall, then putting a large glass/plastic panel over it.

2/ Putting up a large white perspex panel (like something from Enviroclad) then have the image printed as a waterproof vinyl sticker. It wouldn't have the glass effect though.

Perhaps there is a better option? Maybe printing onto glass?
    If anyone has suggestions I'd be very grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭narkymarky

You could try a mixture of your two ideas which would come fairly close to giving you the effect you're after.

Find yourself a large format digital printer or a sign & display company who'll reverse print the image onto clear vinyl with a glue face. The printed side is then backed up with white vinyl - to hide the tiles behind. Finally get it mounted (glue face side) to some clear acrylic/perspex and fix to the wall. If you seal the edge with a bead of silicone you'll keep out any steam that may condense behind the sheeting.
    Glass effect in front, all waterproof materials - hell of a lot cheaper than printing onto tempered glass but with the same look. The clear acrylic is available from around 2 to 20mm thick and depending on the grade you go for should be fairly scratch resistant. The size of the panel you want will kind of determine the thickness of material you'll need to reduce the risk of the sheet bowing or warping.

Good luck,
    Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭icbarros

You could have a customized glass splash back printed with your selected image.
    Cork glass centre does them for kitchens, they may be able to do a bigger one, just talk to them and see what they say: http://www.corkglass.ie/custom_splashbacks.asp
    It's a cool idea, I must say.

Advertisement