Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Vaccinations

Options
  • 08-07-2010 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hey Folks,

Just wondering how often vaccinations must be given to dogs? Are they a yearly thing or what?

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

murf85 wrote: »
    Hey Folks,

Just wondering how often vaccinations must be given to dogs? Are they a yearly thing or what?

nope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Hi, as far as I know they ARE a yearly thing. I certainly have my dogs done every year. This is to ensure they remain prtected from the conditions they are vaccinated against.

It is also a requirement of any decent kennels and trainers that your dogs jabs are up to date, to ensure that nothing is spread between the dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

As far as I know, some of the vaccinations in the 7in1 vaccine last more than a year, and some last a year. So if you're going to give the 7in1 (that's the normal vaccination dogs get) then you have to give it every year. But some people think that's over vaccinating so they get the vaccinations seperately, and only some every year, and some every three years or something.

Most people get them done every year, and to go into kennels they need them done every year.

I get mine vaccinated every year just to be on the safe side, because of lepto and stuff . . . I would never forgive myself if I didn't and they got sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭murf85

Thanks lads.

My samoyed recently turned a year old so the date of his second vaccination is coming up so just wanted to make sure..

Better get them done just to be safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Usually the full batch of vaccinations is done annually - as is the kennel cough vaccine. Dogs also need to be treated for worms every three months and fleas every month. Can be a good idea to separate the vaccines, ie - do general vaccines in June and kennel cough in December or something like that - spreads the costs out a bit. Dont forget when you're at the vets to get the anal glads checked too - very uncomfortable for a dog is they are not checked out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

There seems to be a lot of discussion about this at the moment and even some of the vaccine companies are looking at research saying every 3 years is enough.

Officially at the moment though, annual boosters are required - that's for kennels and all insurance policies also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Shazanne wrote: »
    Usually the full batch of vaccinations is done annually - as is the kennel cough vaccine. Dogs also need to be treated for worms every three months and fleas every month. Can be a good idea to separate the vaccines, ie - do general vaccines in June and kennel cough in December or something like that - spreads the costs out a bit. Dont forget when you're at the vets to get the anal glads checked too - very uncomfortable for a dog is they are not checked out.
    kennel cough vaccine not essential unlike 7in1. Kennel cough only dangerous to very young pups, elderly dogs or dogs with concurrent illness. However if your dog is going boarding you will have to get it. Only treat your dog for fleas if he has them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

kennel cough vaccine not essential unlike 7in1. Kennel cough only dangerous to very young pups, elderly dogs or dogs with concurrent illness. However if your dog is going boarding you will have to get it. Only treat your dog for fleas if he has them.

Allianz also require the Kennel Cough vaccine for insurance purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

According to what's written on the back of my dog's vaccination record, kennel cough can be picked up if dogs are walking/mixing in areas where there are other dogs. I wouldn't necessarily agree that it is only for dogs that are elderly or infirm -kennel cough is a most distressing ailment for a dog and they are all prone to it.
    There is alot of discussion lately regarding to lungworm, whic can apparently be picked up from snails or from where snails have left a trail, such as on outdoor bowls and toys. However, my vet is of the opinion that this recent hype is being driven by the vaccination company that makes the lungworm vaccine and, while he did treat my dog for it (I's a fussy mother!) he did not appear overly concerned about the danger of her getting it.
    As regards treating for fleas, I think I would prefer to treat to avoid rather than treat to cure. Fleas can spread like wildfire, especially if your dog is inside alot. Not a pretty picture if they get onto carpets and soft furnishing - or onto yourself for that matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Apparently new research in America has shown that dogs only need one set of Vaccines for their whole lives, vets in America are already accepting this as fact as many do year blood test to determine immunity levels in dogs and it has also been show that vaccines can have dangerous effects on dogs which if true will turn how we do things in Ireland on its head. It will also mean vets will lose a lot of revenue if people catch on to it. Maybe I will stop vaccinating my dog next year. In the words of Dr. Christina Chambreau D.V.M
    "Would you rebel if your doctor told you to get measles, mumps, rubella, diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus, and hepatitis shots every year of your life until you died, instead of only a few doses as a child?"

Here are some links:
    http://petvaccine.weebly.com/
    http://dogkinetics.com/dog-vaccines-are-you-over-vaccinating
    these are about the dangers of Vaccines:
    http://dogstodaymagazine.co.uk/lepto.html

http://designerbostons.homestead.com/misc.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

This has been discussed much more recently on the forum than 2010. Perhaps if you wish to attract more interest in it you can start a new thread on the topic rather than dragging up one thats over a year old ;)

Locking

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement