Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G Data on Vodafone Ireland

Options
  • 08-07-2010 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm using an unlocked, O2 branded, Desire. Everything is working except I don't have any sort of data connection away from Wifi.
    I've entered the live.vodafone.com settings, but the thing is I don't even see any data icon available at the top of the home screen. All I see is the time, battery and 3/4 bars (shouldn't I see 3G/G/H or something like that?)

Has anyone else had this problem on VF? The phone isn't yet rooted so I don't think I've done anything wrong here.

Thanks for any help.

I do get the wifi icon when that's turned on and wifi works fine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

If you go to settings/wireless&network/mobile networks/accesspointnames you should see your vodafone connection. Click into it, make sure the apn is live.vodafone.com and scroll down to the very bottom and in apn type put in 'default'. Then hit menu and save. Then go back one screen to the screen that shows your connections and make sure you have the green button on the right hand side pressed.

Let me know if this works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

breeno wrote: »
    If you go to settings/wireless&network/mobile networks/accesspointnames you should see your vodafone connection. Click into it, make sure the apn is live.vodafone.com and scroll down to the very bottom and in apn type put in 'default'. Then hit menu and save. Then go back one screen to the screen that shows your connections and make sure you have the green button on the right hand side pressed.

Let me know if this works.

Thanks breeno, I tried all that and nothing. Anyway, I've just spent the last hour or so rooting the phone (I was actually shaking at one stage). When I rebooted (without the O2 animations!) the phone went straight into a set up wizard, I selected Vodafone IE as my carrier and I now have 3G. (What's the difference between G & H icons?)
    So happy days, I'm now running an unlocked and debranded phone with that ironic "quietly brilliant" startup!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭smackyB

kin9pin wrote: »
    Thanks breeno, I tried all that and nothing. Anyway, I've just spent the last hour or so rooting the phone (I was actually shaking at one stage). When I rebooted (without the O2 animations!) the phone went straight into a set up wizard, I selected Vodafone IE as my carrier and I now have 3G. (What's the difference between G & H icons?)
    So happy days, I'm now running an unlocked and debranded phone with that ironic "quietly brilliant" startup!

H = HSDPA - very fast 3G data connection
    G = GPRS - slow-as-paint-drying data connection

One of the main reasons I would never go back to Vodafone is their reliance on GPRS when 3G signal is not available (which I found not be pretty often). EDGE is so much better!

Advertisement