Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road to Longford?

Options
  • 08-07-2010 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi everyone, I'll try keep this short and simple..

Basically I'm living in Tullamore, and I'm looking for a return route to Longford that isn't gonna break the bank.
    I priced return trains via Dublin and they amounted past €65.
    So that option was ruled out.
    I priced a Bus Eireann fare and even though its roughly €23 return, I would like to spend more than just the hour and a half between bus arrival and departure buses in Longford.

So if anybody knows of any private companies that run routes between Tullamore and Longford, or say, Tullamore - Mullingar, then Mullingar - Longford, or any other form of transport, could you please give me a hand?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

I don't know of any private companys at all to be honest.I'd say your best bet is try to get to mullingar from tullamore, and then you have regular trains running, I think every two hours to Longford.

I think travelling up and down the middle of the country must be one of the most difficult things to do. The route from say Monaghan, Cavan, Longford, Athlone, Tullamore, Portlaoise, Kilkenny, Waterford has virtually non-existent infrastructure or public transport.

The government need to build a motorway along this route, it would be like an M50 linking all the national motorways except down the middle of the country. Then if someone wanted to travel from Cavan to Cork, they would get the 'new M50' to Portlaoise and then take the main cork road. Instead, nowadays people from cavan probably travel to Dublin and then take the motorway to Cork. The motorway should also link up with Rosslare, and develop that as the major port. This would take all the HGVs out of Dublin and make it easier for companys importing and exporting. We might see it in 50 years time.

Sorry for going a bit off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i'm pretty sure there would be decent links between longford, mullingar and tullamore mainly because of the hospitals. you could try the reception in tullamore general, they may have an idea of private bus companies that are ferrying people with broken legs about the midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭cml387

i'm pretty sure there would be decent links between longford, mullingar and tullamore mainly because of the hospitals. you could try the reception in tullamore general, they may have an idea of private bus companies that are ferrying people with broken legs about the midlands.

Hah! The road between Mullingar and Tullamore (the official N52) takes a dog leg via the M6 and Tyrellspass then a bit of good road until the cart track section between Dalystown and the turn off for Lough Ennel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

when i said good links i meant bus links!

the road out of mullingar at the moment is a bit of a mess, especially if you take that new bypass from the longford side.
    twas better when it was just a long windy road from the greyhound track to kilbeggan!

Advertisement