Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote Access to PC from Android devices

Options
  • 08-07-2010 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

I would like to run a program such as www.teamviewer.com which only supports iphones right now.
    Any other progs out there that anyone uses ?
    Thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

logmein ignition is my preferred option

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Logmein Iginition is great
    Another would be PhoneMyPC (really good too)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

androidVNC is what I use. Works perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

Logmein Iginition is great
    Another would be PhoneMyPC (really good too)

Yeh my preferred choice is PhoneMyPC. Got an update yesterday finally giving you the ability to lock the screen and log in and out. Also auto locks the computer if the connection between the app and computer is broken. Over all I've been very pleased with it. Think it'll be perfect when sound gets added which shouldn't be too far away now that logging in and out has been sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

any of these free to personal users

thx for replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

trying to get AndroicVNC up its asking for a port - how do i identify my port ?
    Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Generally 8080 is a good port to go for ftp / itunes utilises this.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

trying to get AndroicVNC up its asking for a port - how do i identify my port ?
    Thx
    I use TightVNC as the server and it uses port 5900. I believe you can set the port in your VNC server software.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

AndroidVNC or remoteRDP. Both work flawlessly for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Tr1PoD

I haven't used any others but PhoneMyPC has been excellent so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Got AndroidVNC working to my mac - class. Didn't even have to install anything on the apple either.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Doc Daneeka

Just set up TightVNC server and am now looking at my laptop. Cool!

Question for the techies though. I am currently looking at this while using Android and laptop on same router and all I had to do was input the password on the phone and viola! connected. I assume this would not be the case if I was using the phone on a different wifi connection? Do devices need to be approved by me on my laptop before they are allowed connect from remote locations? Sorry if these questions are dumb but I'm just wondering is my laptop just a password away from being controlled by anyone over the net?

Doc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Just set up TightVNC server and am now looking at my laptop. Cool!

Question for the techies though. I am currently looking at this while using Android and laptop on same router and all I had to do was input the password on the phone and viola! connected. I assume this would not be the case if I was using the phone on a different wifi connection? Do devices need to be approved by me on my laptop before they are allowed connect from remote locations? Sorry if these questions are dumb but I'm just wondering is my laptop just a password away from being controlled by anyone over the net?

Doc
    Well you would need to have your router's external WAN address which is it's ip address as visible to the rest of the world. It's normally something like 212.231.51.63 and not 192.168.1.5. Then you would need to forward the port that the TightVNC server uses so that external internet connections can access it. Then for example if you were out connected to 3G you would connect to 212.231.51.63 and not 192.168.1.5.

The only problem with this is that most home broadband connections have dynamic IP addresses. They change every time the router has to re-establish a connection (Every 24 hours).

There are ways around that issue but unless you need to connect to your TightVNC server outside of home there's no point explaining them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

you can get dynamic dns (dyndns.com). That's what I use to connect to my stuff at home. It's handy for me cos I have a few different machines and haven't static ip addresses (not to mention a very unorthodox tempremental LAN). This gives you a URL to connect to instead.

Advertisement