Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interest in moderation management meeting??

Options
  • 08-07-2010 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

I've recently been following an approach to gaining control of my drinking problem. The approach is called moderation management and is outlined at www.moderation.org

I've basically started a 30 day period of no drinking after which the plan is to use an online tool called abstar which enables monitoring of drinking patterns. There is also a great email list where people discuss how they are getting on.
    I've chatted to people who have successfully followed the program and changed from having a severe drinking problem to being able to enjoy a few drinks in moderation on a regular basis (the dream!).

I'm seriously considering trying to set up a weekly meeting in dublin for people interested in following this approach.

So basically post here or PM me if you think you might be interested.
    Any advice with regard to setting up such a group in terms of venue etc would also be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 theshowdog

Any luck with this since?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I think that the only way anybody can moderate,is if you haven't already sunk deep into the ''alkie-hole''.

For me when moderating I used to constantly think about alcohol, constantly from the time I got up to the time I went to bed.

A constant turmoil of wanting it, hating everyone because that day I was not drinking because I was moderating and today was a no drink day .... outwardly no-one could guess but inwardly alcohol was turning in my heart and mind, while my stomach was begging for it ....

Each and everyone of us knows deep within who and what we ourselves are, if we are able to moderate we know and if we are an alcoholic/problem/abusive drinker we DO know .... but for a long time we usually deny this to ourselves first and everyone else thereafter ....

I also have relatives and friends who open wine, beer etc and have one .... they don't finish the bottle and that is an anathema to me ..... what is alcohol for if not to get drunk ....

If you feel this way then it will be hard to moderate ... most of us come here because there was that elusive promise to be able to moderate ..... I thought it was a wonder cure - I would be able to drink and not get drunk - every night .....

Good luck with it all everyone .... I hope you are one of the lucky ones.

Just seen op date of post oops.

Advertisement