Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Shutting down after few seconds

Options
  • 08-07-2010 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

I have a desktop PC and when I try to boot it up it will power down after like 2 seconds. The power light will come on and then I hear a small beep and it then shuts down. I have opened the pc while booting up and the fans are running (CPU fan etc.) I reseated all connections but still the same thing.

Do you guys have any idea as to what this could be.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

make and model of pc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Will it go past the BIOS? Any beeps?

he mentioned one beep which is usually all systems go on ibm standards

• Registered Users Posts: 15 commander cool

Sorry its an Emachine E4252. I cant see it going into the BIOS, nothing is coming on the monitor. It will power on and you can hear the fan and then it shuts down. I can hear 1 beep and then shuts down.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-010249.htm

on a bbit of reading it may be a memory problem. try removing the ram and reseating one at a time and then testing after each one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 commander cool

Il try and let you know. Thanks for the quick responses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

If that doesn't work try another power supply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

A good idea would be to temporarily remove everything (extension cards,ram, drives, and all cables, usb and otherwise keyboard mouse included etc.

If the computer stays on, add components back one by one (ram and keyboard first as they come in handy).

Don't worry if you don't have a graphics card i assume you can see if the fan powering down so you know and since you have no hard drive plugged in theres no problem i just hitting the power button.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

It sounds ike a power issue. Do you have a spare power supply to swap into the machine to test. Usually (not always) if other components fail the fans etc continues to spin.

How has the machine been working up to now. Have you noticed any change in performance.

It sounds funny but maybe open up the case and sniff - if you can smell a burnt smell then one suspects something has burnt out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

The first time you boot your PC after a long time, does it stay on longer that when you keep trying repeatedly?

Could be heating issue. But a common one above is a PSU problem. A lot of problematic PSU's die when the load increases.

• Advertisement
Advertisement