Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

70th Birthday for my mum tomorrow-am I missing anything?

Options
  • 08-07-2010 9:27am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    My mums 70th bitheday is tomorrow night and I' the organiser. Even though she is 70, she is full of life and it is going to be a lively party with family playing trad all night.

Since it's the first party I have organised, I'm getting nervous this morning that I'm missing something rediculously obvious. So far, we have...

-Venue and extra staff (its a very small pub where her family always gathers)
    -Birthday present and card
    -18x15 inch cake (not fresh cream so it won't go off)
    -Paper plates and disposable cutlery
    -Finger food ordered
    -Baloons and Banners
    -Disposable cameras for guests (so we can add to a photo album)
    -Memories book wher people can write their memories of my mum (is this a bit morbid?)
    -Music (some family on both sides have excellent guitar skills!)

Any suggestions of cool ideas that my add something extra? Also, am I missing anything?

Thanks for your help everyone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Birthday candles for the cake?

The memory book idea is lovely, not at all morbid, sure it's a common thing to be made at hen nights these days! You'll probably make her cry with it so be prepared for that.

Does she know about the party? Is it a surprise?

Sounds like you have everything covered, do you have anyone making a speech?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Cathooo wrote: »
    Birthday candles for the cake?

The memory book idea is lovely, not at all morbid, sure it's a common thing to be made at hen nights these days! You'll probably make her cry with it so be prepared for that.

Does she know about the party? Is it a surprise?

Sounds like you have everything covered, do you have anyone making a speech?

Hi Cathoo,
    Thanks for the reply! The memories book is going to be given the following day so hopefully no tears until then! Oh and it's not a surprise.

As for candles, good catch! My mum has a touch of emphysema and would have a panic attack at the thought of having to blow candles out on a cake in front of everyone. We may have candles but have everyone help blow them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

If she has any grandkids I bet they'd help her out with the candles!

A big knife to cut the cake might be needed. Napkins too if the pub don't provide them.

It might be a bit late to organise but would you have old photos of her to blow up and stick around the pub?

Hope you have a great night

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Cathooo wrote: »
    If she has any grandkids I bet they'd help her out with the candles!

A big knife to cut the cake might be needed. Napkins too if the pub don't provide them.

It might be a bit late to organise but would you have old photos of her to blow up and stick around the pub?

Hope you have a great night

No grandkids just yet, she has us quite late :) We were going to have photos on walls but she made it clear. No way! lol

Advertisement