Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

European Breakdown Cover - Company Car

Options
  • 08-07-2010 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭

Being driven (no pun intended) mad here - anyone experienced similar to this? I have a company car and am using it to travel in Europe for a couple of weeks on holiday. Insurance etc is fine, but the lease company (it's a long-term lease car) suggested I might want to take out European Breakdown Cover and to contact the AA.

AA quote me about € 150 for the two weeks. Sounds like madness, so I start looking around. I tried both breakdowncover.ie and VHI (whom I already have Multitrip with) as both of them offer alternatives for € 80 or less. However, both refuse to sell me the cover unless the car is owned by me!

Anyone have any idea why this is? What difference whether it's a car I own or a company car? Sure isn't a company car more likely to be well-maintained as it's them paying for the servicing etc?

1) Can anyone suggest any alternative, or do AA charge that price as they're the only ones who'll do it?
    2) Am I mad spending the money on it?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

How old is the car? It might still mave manufacturer assist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Contact the leasing/fleet management company with this info - they may be happy with the level of coverage that breakdowncover.ie or VHI offer and may be able to supply you with some kind of letter of permission that would satisfy breakdowncover or VHI.

Did breakdowncover or VHI mention any kind of leeway with regard to ownership? It's seems very restrictive.
    Would the fleet management company be able to take out the cover with these guys on your behalf and then you pay the FM company back?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

-Chris- wrote: »
    Contact the leasing/fleet management company with this info - they may be happy with the level of coverage that breakdowncover.ie or VHI offer and may be able to supply you with some kind of letter of permission that would satisfy breakdowncover or VHI.

Did breakdowncover or VHI mention any kind of leeway with regard to ownership? It's seems very restrictive.
    Would the fleet management company be able to take out the cover with these guys on your behalf and then you pay the FM company back?

That would be my thinking as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭g0g

Thanks for the replies. It's a 2007 A4.

Both VHI and breakdowncover.ie were very inflexible. Both had to go check with their managers and came back to say no they could only do it for the car owner. I guess contacting the leasing company might be an option (thanks!), but it'd be hassle for them to sort it out for me then charge back to me versus to my employer etc. Just seems mad - no one will take my money! Might just chance not having it. Sure I've never had a problem with the car to date anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Is there no breakdown service on the insurance? Or would they not cover you abroad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭g0g

Nah I think it's just a general group third party insurance cover. The breakdown insurance is through the leasing of the cars and it covers us for Ireland.

Advertisement