Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorway madness on the M11

Options
  • 08-07-2010 7:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭

Two from this week's Wexford People

Woman reversed onto motorway
    'EXTRAORDINARILY STUPID,' SAYS SOLICITOR

Wednesday July 07 2010
    A DUNCORMICK WOMAN who reversed down a slipway, back on to a motorway,
    was fined for driving without due care and consideration for other road users at Gorey District Court last week.

This was at the Gorey/Courtown Exit. The woman has been fitted with a defibrillator, prompting the judge to ask whether she should be driving at all!

Siobhan Murphy was fined 250 euro with no disqualification...

and

also from the People
    A COURT erupted into laughter last Thursday when a defendant
    told the judge he had been driv-
    ing without a licence since 1974,
    and had not been stopped by
    Gardai until this year.
    He said Gardai never had
    cause to stop him in all that
    time because he is ‘a careful
    driver’ - and in fact it was being
    careful that eventually led him
    to court, since he finally
    encountered the Force after
    stopping on the hard shoulder
    of a motorway when his phone
    rang
    Noel Sheridan (62) of 9
    Maryville Gardens, Courtown,
    was before Gorey District Court
    charged with driving without a
    licence, and failing to produce a
    licence, at Killybegs, Gorey on
    February 9 last.
    When he stood before the
    judge, he said he was entering a
    plea of guilty to not having a
    licence. The judge enquired why
    he didn’t have a licence.
    ‘I forgot to renew it,’ said the
    defendant.
    ‘When did it run out?’ asked
    the Judge.
    A while back,’ replied the
    defendant.
    The Judge asked him to be
    more specific.
    ‘1974,’ replied the defendant,
    and a wave of laughter spread
    through the court.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

all seems fairly run of the mills, nothing out of the ordinary. People being ****ing tools in their cars is all too common unfortunately.

And when there is no punishment, why would anyone change. I mean 250 for something like that is not going to deter you from being a moron on the roads is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

all seems fairly run of the mills, nothing out of the ordinary. People being ****ing tools in their cars is all too common unfortunately.

And when there is no punishment, why would anyone change. I mean 250 for something like that is not going to deter you from being a moron on the roads is it?
    exactly. Sometimes fines are a joke.
    I posted somewhere of a lad driving dangerously through a town, past a school, ignoring garda checkpoints and eventually was only stopped by blocking the road completely. Also something paltry like 250 euro and a month off the road!

on the continent for more serious matters they fine you as a multiple of days wages. It can wise you up pretty quick.
    i.e. Steffan Effenburg got fined 100,000 Euro for nothing more than calling a policeman an asshole!!!
    Which was 20 * "a days wage" or 20*5000 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭jd

Reading the article about the guy 36 years without a licence, he didn't get charged for stopping on the motorway. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

jd wrote: »
    Reading the article about the guy 36 years without a licence, he didn't get charged for stopping on the motorway. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    to continue driving with your phone ringing might be considered a distraction and more dangerous than stopping on the hard shoulder?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭jd

foggy_lad wrote: »
    to continue driving with your phone ringing might be considered a distraction and more dangerous than stopping on the hard shoulder?

Not a good enough reason to stop in the hard shoulder in any other country, I can't think of any reason why Ireland should be different.

Turn the thing off or get a hands free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

foggy_lad wrote: »

no.

stopping for anything other than an emergencies is not allowed. answering your phone is not an emergency, ever.

a ringing phone is no more distracting than a radio or talking to a passenger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 steveoracle

seems that it's all or nothing with car documents, people either have everything are scupulous or have nothing and don't care... sad really...

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

jd wrote: »
    Not a good enough reason to stop in the hard shoulder in any other country, I can't think of any reason why Ireland should be different.

Turn the thing off or get a hands free.

I think you're possibly confusing Ireland with a country that has an efficient police force and a 21st century legal system.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

Saw a guy stopping on the M4 to do a U-turn up the on ramp at Celbridge yesterday, €250 for idiotic behaviour is ridiculous. Anyone who is doing that type of stuff should be banned.

There should be fines for driving in the wrong lane as well. Ended up going the wrong way on the M50 this morning as I got stuck in the overtaking lane going by liffey vally by a car in front of me doing about 50kmph and a truck to my left (which I had attempted to overtake) doing the same. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

KenHy wrote: »
    There should be fines for driving in the wrong lane as well. Ended up going the wrong way on the M50 this morning as I got stuck in the overtaking lane going by liffey vally by a car in front of me doing about 50kmph and a truck to my left (which I had attempted to overtake) doing the same. :(
    Why weren't you in the exit lane that starts at the Red Cow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,943 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Because there's usually a massive big queue in that lane, duhhh.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Advertisement