Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help setting the correct resolution on a dell

Options
  • 07-07-2010 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

OK bought a graphics card radeon hd 4650 pcie 2.0. I installed that onto my dell desktop that is running windows seven 64bit and all that went smoothly, I have a 23" dell lcd Monitor in which the native resolution should be 1920x1080. When I have the vga cable in everything looks fine but only on 1250x960.
    So i decided to swap over and use a hdmi cable, now on 1250x 960 everything looks bulkyier and more blurred but when i try the native resolution of 1920 x 1080 everything looks perfect except my screen doesnt fit my monitor it is much smaller and leaves a black box around the area not filled.
    Any help on how I can resolve this issue really would be appreciated, I have being banging my head here for hours trying to fix it, what I googled didnt seem to help. I dont know alot about computers so i might not be asking the right questions.
    and please explain in laymans terms if you can.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Is it just the desktop wallpaper that doesn't stretch to fill the display?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Dancingjebus3

nope its the whole screen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Go to Catalyst Control Center, click at the top left and select Desktops & Displays then choose your monitor and click the downward triangle and select configure, go to Scaling and move the slider to Overscan.

Image1-17.jpg

Image3-3.jpg

Image4.jpg

Image5-1.jpg

I have a Sapphire HD4650 and it does not work properly on my Samsung TV at 1920x1080 via HDMI or VGA, it has to be scaled. Any lower resolution works such as 1650x1080, but is at the wrong aspect ratio.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Try update to the latest driver version first if they are not already there, it may be an issue with your particular driver version as it would be fairly unusual to see underscan on a plain old monitor (more commonly an issue with 1080p TVs).

If not then what DaveyDave said ^^^^ should do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Dancingjebus3

Yeah iv already updated the drivers so everything in that area should be fine, and davey dave i tried to follow your instructions but my monitor would not appear as an option to select i added a screen shot as an attachment so you can see what im getting, I tried selecting detect but nothing appears. any suggestions??

• Advertisement
Advertisement