Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colleage undermining me

Options
  • 07-07-2010 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm 15 years younger than my colleague, we both do the exact same job, but he has a share in the company, which I don't.
    Occasionally I might refer to him for advice/help with a tricky situation, as I figure his extra years of experience would be good in approaching something from a different angle, I reason somethings you cannot learn from a textbook& it's no harm to bounce ideas& continue to learn throughout your working life. A proportion of my wage goes towards this support.
    Today he made a comment, in public, basically saying he felt he was babysitting me.
    Now, the last time I asked for any help was~5 weeks ago, when I asked if he could see HIS client, as I didn't have the time& the client was assigned to me by mistake.
    He helped source a file for me today- this is part of his job description (not mine though) & not an "extra" thing I asked for help with.
    Long story short, I feel undermined. I'm in my late 20's& I know that this person would never address my other colleages (male, 30's-50's) in such a way. Or if he did, he'd be put in his place. I don't want to rock the boat, but I don't want to be a pushover either.
    Advice gratefully received, apols for the long rant....

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

A proportion of my wage goes towards this support.
    Today he made a comment, in public, basically saying he felt he was babysitting me.

this person would never address my other colleages (male, 30's-50's) in such a way. Or if he did, he'd be put in his place.

Firstly, i dont really understand what you mean when you say that a proportion of your wages goes towards this support - could you clarify that?

secondly - did you put him in his place regarding the comment? it sounds like you are in a primarily male environment, so consider how one of those guys would reply to it and and pick him up on it. depending on the culture of the company, it really depends on whether you can slag him off back, take him aside quietly and have a word, or go to HR. personally i would slag back, but its up to you.
    Occasionally I might refer to him for advice/help with a tricky situation, as I figure his extra years of experience would be good in approaching something from a different angle, I reason somethings you cannot learn from a textbook& it's no harm to bounce ideas& continue to learn throughout your working life.

i agree with this, however it seems that he considers it that you are totally without direction. i had this in a previous job so i approached it like "i have more or less already made up my mind about the task, but two heads are better than one etc, what do you think about this scenario... then when he responds, just say, yeah, thats what i was thinking i would do as well."

Advertisement