Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting JB transferred to another EU country..

Options
  • 07-07-2010 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

""
    Jobseeker's Benefit (JB) may be transferred to another EEA member state for up to 13 weeks, if you are looking for work there. You must be getting Jobseeker's Benefit for 4 weeks before you can transfer it to another EEA member state. From 1 May 2010 new EU Regulations came into effect (pdf) which mean that if you apply to transfer your Jobseeker's Benefit, it will be paid directly to you. You will still be required to register with the employment services of the country where you have gone to look for work within a week. You must take form Form U2 (which is replacing Form E303) to the social services of the country you are travelling to. You can get a completed Form U2 from your local social welfare office.
    ""

Has anyone here actually done this?
    How is the JB collected ? - Is it put into your bank account?

If someone has some advice / has done this can they help?

Would love to hear from someone who has actually done this.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

You go in and tell them you intend doing this, and again the day before you go. You then have a week to register in the EU country, who will let Ireland know this. It is then paid into your Irish bank account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 portally

Thanks for the reply on that. This is something I have been wondering myself. I was afraid that there would be a massive waiting period to get the EU transfer completed. I have been on a waiting list for Job Seekers Benefit and I should be able to claim from the 2nd of June. I presume I will be eligible for transfer immediately once I get approved as I will get over a month’s benefit straight away. I want to go to Germany so it would be a huge help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Liam_Flag

cAr0l wrote: »
    You go in and tell them you intend doing this, and again the day before you go. You then have a week to register in the EU country, who will let Ireland know this. It is then paid into your Irish bank account.

Hmmm

When you register in another EU country - do you have to sign weekly or anything like that?
    There's nothing stopping you from moving around the country and looking for work in different cities? or even a different country?

If you don't find work after 4 weeks - can you return to Ireland and after another period of time use the remainder of the 13 weeks to look in another country?

I'm signing again this week so I'll ask the person at the SW office this..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It's not paid into your Irish bank account, you must have a bank account in the country you move to. If you're going to the UK you can just give the local welfare office 1 week's notice, for Germany you'd probably need to give them a month.

You have to sign on according to the rules of the country you move to - in the UK it's every 2 weeks.

Oh, and be prepared to wait AGES and deal with people who have no idea how to handle this sort of claim - I moved to London 6 weeks ago and signed on the day after I arrived, but the staff at the jobcentre hadn't a clue what I was talking about, accused me of benefits tourism and then processed my claim as if I had applied for UK-resident JSA. I still haven't received a penny. I had to get my MP to intervene and they THINK i'll get my money next week. Thankfully I had savings and got a job (although i'm not due to start until next week).

So yes, it can be done, but ensure you have enough savings to cover your living expenses for at least a month.

Liam_Flag wrote: »
    There's nothing stopping you from moving around the country and looking for work in different cities? or even a different country?

You could probably move around the same country but be prepared to have interruptions to your benefits if you do this. As for moving to another country - no.
    Liam_Flag wrote: »
    If you don't find work after 4 weeks - can you return to Ireland and after another period of time use the remainder of the 13 weeks to look in another country?

No. I was told you can only do it once (I presume they meant once per year). If you move back to Ireland you will most likely be put on means-tested JSB. So think about your move very, very carefully.

Isn't the job situation in Germany terrible atm? Do you speak German?

• Advertisement

eth0_ wrote: »
    It's not paid into your Irish bank account, you must have a bank account in the country you move to. If you're going to the UK you can just give the local welfare office 1 week's notice, for Germany you'd probably need to give them a month.

You have to sign on according to the rules of the country you move to - in the UK it's every 2 weeks.

Oh, and be prepared to wait AGES and deal with people who have no idea how to handle this sort of claim

So yes, it can be done, but ensure you have enough savings to cover your living expenses for at least a month.

They have changed the system slightly. It will now be paid into your Irish bank account or by cheque to your foreign address. Basically your claim now stays open in Ireland and your payment issues from here. You go into your office abroad and they contact people in Ireland to say you were in and your payment starts issuing then

You are subject to whatever the control checks are in the country you go to. If you don't turn up for your signing over there they inform the Irish office and your claim is closed.

You also need to give the Irish office you address abroad before you go.

Oh god. So my job centre are STILL f*cking my claim up. They told me i'd be paid into my UK bank account this week.

I really wouldn't recommend anyone try this benefits transfer thing. I have wasted so many hours on the phone essentially doing their work for them. And six weeks later it would appear they are still screwing things up.

When did the system change? I notified my SW office during the last week of May. They sent an E303 form over to the International Pension Centre in Newcastle - is that the old way of doing things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 elbowgrease

Yeah..and meanwhile the rest of us taxpayers have to fund you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Yeah..and meanwhile the rest of us taxpayers have to fund you

When you're finished bumping old threads, JB is not a means-tested benefit. The person who claims it actually paid contributions and is entitled to claim it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 vincentdublin

if you come back in Ireland after 3 months in an EU country, will you continue getting the Job seeker benefit at the post office?

thank you

Vincent

• Advertisement

if you come back in Ireland after 3 months in an EU country, will you continue getting the Job seeker benefit at the post office?

thank you

Vincent
    If you have transferred your benefit to another EU country, and use your full three month entitlement over there, I think if you come back to Ireland you have used up your full entitlement to benefit.
    If you need to claim in Ireland, you will have to claim Jobseekers Allowance.

when I come back in Ireland, I will have 7 months left of JSB. will I get the payment at the post when I come back ? Vincent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I'm interested in this as I'm being let-go from my job at the end of the month and am considering moving to London as there are more job opportunities there for me.

If I had my JB transferred to London, would I be paid at the UK rate or the Irish rate?

Would I have to collect it at a Post Office there as it is here, or is it paid to a bank account?

Thanks

when I come back in Ireland, I will have 7 months left of JSB. will I get the payment at the post when I come back ? Vincent

No, if you stay in the other EU country for the full 3 months, you will have exhausted your benefit. It doesn't matter if you haven't used up all the days and technically have 7 months left, by transferring it to another country, when you come back the Benefit will be exhausted. You can then apply for Jobseeker's Allowance however.

sitstill wrote: »
    I'm interested in this as I'm being let-go from my job at the end of the month and am considering moving to London as there are more job opportunities there for me.

If I had my JB transferred to London, would I be paid at the UK rate or the Irish rate?

Would I have to collect it at a Post Office there as it is here, or is it paid to a bank account?

Thanks
    It is paid at the Irish rate, into your Irish bank account.

an other question, how can you extend to 6 months the JSB abroad? thanks Vincent

HI cee_jay

I have asked to the welfare regarding moving the JSB in an eu country, they said: when you come back from an eu country after 3 months (if you haven't found a job and you have other jsb months left); you can come back to Ireland to get the JSB at the post office as usual..
    In Ireland is not possible to extend to 6 months the JSB in an eu country.

is that clear ?

Vincent

Advertisement