Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What A Load Of Utter Crap This Psychic & Medium Tripe Has Become

Options
  • 07-07-2010 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭

How could any sane and educated person believe in the supernatural?
    For centuries, con-men and women have made a fortune off the worlds fear, delusions and ignorance. Indeed, the major deterrent to the evolution of our species, God, was crated by those unable to explain natural phenomenon.

Which brings me to this psychic & medium debacle. How can any self-respecting and informed individual waste time with such worthless drivel? Indeed, to believe there are ghosts and spirits, would be to assume the entity possesses conscious thought, which we know cannot be because of the absence of a brain, nervous system etc, making them dumber than your average floor board. They are, supposedly, not made of matter. Therefore, they are immune from general physics in the way that they can disappear, walk through walls. Moreover, they are not made of energy because Newtons Law states they couldn't be in line with gravitational properties. So what are they?

They are a delusion, an old folk tale, false and completely inaccurate.

And what of psychics? They posses the same "powers" as you or I. Furthermore, if they did have said "powers" to see into the future, wouldn't they win the lottery every week? I think this ends this absurd belief in magic the Irish seem to be so keen on. When will we wake up and become a modern civilization instead of a brainwashed one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Can I take it by the title of your thread, IE:
    "What A Load Of Utter Crap This Psychic & Medium Tripe Has Become." that you were once a believer ?

Probably more suited to the Ranting & Raving Forum Tbh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭shebango

Isn't there a skeptics corner section?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭karynp

How could any sane and educated person believe in the supernatural?
    For centuries, con-men and women have made a fortune off the worlds fear, delusions and ignorance. Indeed, the major deterrent to the evolution of our species, God, was crated by those unable to explain natural phenomenon.

Hate to disappoint you but you wont get a debate going here mate,i suggest taking yourself off to the skeptics corner where someone will fan those flames of yours.
    I assume you have come to your conclusion through deep research and testing of these said beliefs you carry.
    if so, then could you please pass them on as i,for one, would hate to continue my life believing in something that is not true. I commend you on your findings and so look forward to reading about them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Don't delude yourself. If any of these psychic & mediums were true then they could become a millionare overnight simply by contacting the James Randi Educational Foundation.

They offer a one-million-dollar prize to anyone who can show, under proper observing conditions, evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event.

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html

This prize has been on offer for many years and has neve once been collected. I wonder why????

As you said it is far better to know the truth.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion however satisfying and reassuring - Carl Sagan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I disagree, as anyone doing this line of work is not in it for money, but yet, they do still need to be able to survive. If I were psychic myself, I would not agree to such a testing, as it would be for the wrong reasons - if I believed in my own abilities, for instance, why would I need to prove it to others. People are going to believe what they want to at the end of the day any way.

Yes, there are some con artsists out there, but there are also people out there who have the ability, and personally I believe the con artists have given the rest of psychics, mediums etc a bad name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I disagree, as anyone doing this line of work is not in it for money, but yet, they do still need to be able to survive.

Firstly I know more than one medium who drive a high end Mercedes to readings. A bit more than is needed to survive? They most certainly are in it for the money or they wouldnt be doing it.
    Yes, there are some con artsists out there, but there are also people out there who have the ability, and personally I believe the con artists have given the rest of psychics, mediums etc a bad name.

I have met many mediums, I know most are con artists but all say exactly what you said there, including the con artists. Con artists making 50-70 quid a reading.

Id be a lot more convinced if mediums gave readings for free rather than making a killing out of it. However on a more sinister note I know weak minded people who are addicted to these medium phone lines for a tenner a minute. They are lonely people who spend a hell of a lot of money on these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I believe that 999.999999999999% are frauds. But its that. 0000000000001% that have that somthing extra. As for the whole it defies the laws of physics thing, well we once thought the world was flat. Is it really that unbelievable that there is something out there that is beyond our comprehension(for the time being).

And if(or when) this is figured out then it will be rebranded from magic/spirituality to science like everything else.

On the other hand i could just be very wrong, and its all a sham. But i like to keep my mind open. If einstein or others had completely closed there mind then there would be no advancement.

My random 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Patricide wrote: »
    . But i like to keep my mind open. If einstein or others had completely closed there mind then there would be no advancement.

Einstein and other opened their minds to science and physics. Not people sitting in cafes offering to tell you your future for 50 euro. Honestly If there was a science behind this it would have and could be quantified by now. But you have to say the same about God.

Both organised religions and private mediums are pretty much the same thing. They tell you what you want to hear, there is no way of knowing if they even believe if they are telling you messages from another plane of existence and you pay them loads of money to do it. Its all about money, which is fine. Supply and demand, if people want reassurance from me, id be happy to take their money if I could be convincing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I dont think so, as far as i know(and im no scientist, so I could be very wrong) theres a good few things in MAINSTREAM science still arent fully understood(magnets and all that jazz).

Yes they opened there mind to science, but every advancement in science usually starts off with an impossible idea. Go back 100 years ago, tell them you would have the internet, giant airliners, trains that floated on magnets that can go insanely fast etc. and they would think you were crazy, or a fraud.

Advancements in technology and materials often make the previously impossible possible. Laws are meant to be broken, and this is the same in physics(well often laws are just better understood).

Dont get me wrong like I said, I think that 99.999999999999% are definitely fraudster plain and simple. This number in all probability could be 100%. But I like to keep my mind open to the possibility of it. You wont see me going to see one of these mediums, but if other people want to go or want to make a forum out of it im not going to specifically come on to rant telling them they are wrong plain and simple.

I just think its insulting to these people in the first place. Its the same with all these atheists who if they find you have any belief in any form of "god" who will spend 2 or 3 hours trying to "convert" you to atheism". You dont even see the catholic church treating people like this (any more).

Tl;dr. If you dont believe in somthing or think that people are stupid for doing so. Then keep it to yourself. If I want to hear why x or y is a load of bollox, il come asking ye!

And if that seems harsh or that its aimed twords you in particular, its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pixied

I believe some of people who pay for a session with a psychic/medium are bored, lonely,looking for a bit of fun or just intrigued. Of the people I know, most are probably,in reality, in need of some type of formal counselling. Sadness brings them seeking a reading.

Some readers I know have high ideas of their 'gift', sometimes I feel they can be almost delusional in their ideas and in realising the scope of their abilities even occassionally looking down on others as almost 'mere mortals'. I also don't feel that a fair service is delivered to those who see readers. The rates are extortionate.

Just my general experience..and this thread is probably in the wrong forum. I know some people can get great comfort from some readings, I just worry for those most vulnerable :)

• Advertisement

most of the people i read for are very normal,yes,sessions can turn into more than just a reading but the emphatic nature of most readers allows the person to unburden and take time before they leave.
    yeh agreed,there are some shocking prices out there. i charge 25e and have no time limit,whatever is needed at the time,with no rush.
    i know people think were all fakes,were not. we just dont blow our own trumpets as it genuinely hurts to hear our faith being put down and ridiculed. dont you think we would love for everyone to experience and feel what we do,if only they would let go and allow it to happen,properly, before deciding if they feel its real or not. as time passes, as we evolve, more people will experience things and it will eventually become the norm for people to discuss their spiritual/paranormal experiences.
    but for now, i think everyones opinion should be respected no matter how opposite it is to yours, when we do this, then were keeping our hearts open for changes to come,we may find out something that will blow our opinions outv the water on either for or against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

You most definitly are all FAKES.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pixied

[QUOTE=
    dont you think we would love for everyone to experience and feel what we do,if only they would let go and allow it to happen,properly, before deciding if they feel its real or not. as time passes, as we evolve, more people will experience things and it will eventually become the norm for people to discuss their spiritual/paranormal experiences.
    but for now, i think everyones opinion should be respected no matter how opposite it is to yours, when we do this, then were keeping our hearts open for changes to come,we may find out something that will blow our opinions outv the water on either for or against it.[/QUOTE]

To be honest I find the italised section above just a bit patronising and this is part of the concern I have in regard to readers. If you really believe each to their own you would accept people experience their own feelings in their own individual manner based on their own values, beliefs and experiences. There is never only one interpretation when it comes to beliefs nor should there be. As for discussing the spiritual and the paranormal, I think most people can do this. As with most subjects you will always get diverging opinions, it's not a matter of people 'evolving'. I think this is probably what I find patronising about a lot of readers.

Anyway that's my tuppence worth for today!
    Onwards and upwards! :)

I dont understand how it is patronising, its what i believe to be true and is said in the most positive way, just my opinion. I would never expect anyone to follow it. No offence intended.
    There are no individual meanings to any cards read, they are just a tool. Nobody is forced to come to a reading and i for one will always explain what is about to happen, making sure they are in no doubt they have freedom of choice in how they live their lives. readings are not meant to be forceful or make you feel you must obey what has been advised to you,they are there to highlight areas of your life that spirit feel you should take a look at. If anyone ever tells you what to do with your life in a reading, then i would feel they were not being true to you. Peoples feelings are very fragile and any reader worth anything will make sure they are very aware of this and not cross the line. there are unwritten rules when it comes to reading and honest readers dont break them.
    Its good to have a balance of opinions, its what makes both sides work harder to prove themselves.
    I think its healthy to discuss them, there are many valid points i have taken on over time, admitidley, when i fist became involved in spirituality i was a classic textbook kind of girl, i believed most haunted was real and all the other cliches that go along with this were real too, then my bubble burst as i discovered most of it wasnt. but i decided to find my own truth for what it meant to me, and i found out loads of things, was amazed by lots of experiences and disappointed in others. but this made me feel 100% positive in any claims i made, i continue to seek and learn more every day, both positive and negative.:)
    anyway, thats my thoughts,lol

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You do realise that if any medium was genuine, if one single person in the entire world was able to speak to the dead, it would be greatest achievement in human history and would be completely change our world. It would be as momentus and Jesus coming back.

But neither are gonna happen.

I do feel sorry for people who believe in mediums. The vast majority are vulnerable and in desperate need to believe that their loved ones aren't simply gone, which I believe they are. They are preyed upon by charlatans out to make money off the back of their misery.

To say that 99.9999% are probably fake is plain nonsense. You really think that a handful of people out there can talk to dead people who reside in some other realm to us? Seriously think about what you're saying. That's lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

So you believe in Jesus but feel sorry for people who believe in mediums......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

for someone who doesn't believe in the 'paranormal', you're quite the regular.

The latest posts on the website throws up posts from all subforums. Sometimes I see ones about the 'paranormal', and comment .

It is a discussion forum after all.

Advertisement