Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to root the desire

Options
  • 07-07-2010 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

im looking to root my phone, i found a few guides on this site but i dont really get it :confused:

"In order to use this ROM on your device, you must be rooted and be able to launch the custom recovery image using the supplied scripts in the root package"

how do i start?

is it worth it rooting?

thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 EHB

Just did it this week had a bit of trouble using a mac so switched to PC. But if you follow the steps on the XDA forum and use the C Prompt guide in the thread I had on here that someone posted it SHOULD be easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

EHB wrote: »
    Just did it this week had a bit of trouble using a mac so switched to PC. But if you follow the steps on the XDA forum and use the C Prompt guide in the thread I had on here that someone posted it SHOULD be easy enough.

thank you for the reply.

so, have this link
    http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desire-desire-modaco-com/307365/14-jun-r6-riskfreeroot-htc-desire-rooting-guide-now-with-hboot-0-80-and-os-to-1-21-support/

the HBOOT is 08
    firmware is 2.1 update1
    does this mean i have to downgrade?

I used the steps and software in this thread

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=696189

This advice for using cmd prompt

If I was doing this in windows, I need to navigate in my cmd prompt to the folder I extracted the files then run them.

e.g. if the files were here

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\

I would

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

D:\>c:

C:\>cd C:\Documents and Settings

C:\Documents and Settings>cd all users

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users>cd desktop

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop>step1-windows.bat

and this for when I was finished or thought I was

Boot back in to the phone and download ROM manager from the market and then flash Clockwork recovery.

Then restart your phone and get in to recovery mode by holding down the volume down button on your phone as it boots. Once you get to the HBOOT menu, push volume down to get to recovery and then push the power button to select. After you reach the recovery screen (Red exclamation mark) you push Volume up and power and then you'll reach the stock recovery menu. Choose Apply update:update.zip. If Step 1 had been a success you should reach the custom recovery where you can flash on any ROM that you'd like. If it was not a success then it will fail to get to the custom recovery menu.

Took me 2 attempts ROM Manager is great once you have the rooting done it lets you do everything from it and has ROM's you can chose from. If anyone more experienced with this has anything to add feel free to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I used Cyanogen Mod - i didn't have to use cmd/terminal on any pc, only briefly on the phone itself.

The CM wiki is self explanatory and tells you exactly what you have to have and how to check for it and then you will have no problems.

thank you for the replys and for the links

just have a couple last questions:

the HBOOT is 08
    firmware is 2.1 update1

will installing a custom rom will remove the o2 stuff, and will it make the phone sim free?

thank you

• Advertisement

ldr wrote: »

the HBOOT is 08
    firmware is 2.1 update1

will installing a custom rom will remove the o2 stuff, and will it make the phone sim free?

thank you

Take a look at the xda link u download different files depending on what bootloader and firmware you have. I don't know for sure about your other ques as mine was unbranded but I'd say it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

the HBOOT is 08
    firmware is 2.1 update1

thank you
    No need to downgrade just download the rooting package for a HBOOT .80 phone.

Rooting WILL remove the O2 stuff and make it for all intents and purposes sim free (But not unlocked). The only thing is that you have to create a goldcard if you're going to be rooting a branded phone. A guide for that is available on either the XDA or MoDaCo page.

hello

i`ve rooted the phone :D

installed ROM manager from the market, but this is what it says about phone

firmware version
    2.1 update 1

baseband version
    32.36.00.28u_4.06.00.02_2

kernel version
    2.6.29_82821fb5
    htc-kernel@and18-2 #1

build number
    1.15.405.4 cl155070 release keys

software number

browser version
    webkit 3.1

does this still means i still have official firmware?

what rom would you recomend and do i download the rom from rom manager?

many thanks

hello

i`ve rooted the phone :D

installed ROM manager from the market, but this is what it says about phone

firmware version
    2.1 update 1

baseband version
    32.36.00.28u_4.06.00.02_2

kernel version
    2.6.29_82821fb5
    htc-kernel@and18-2 #1

build number
    1.15.405.4 cl155070 release keys

software number

browser version
    webkit 3.1

does this still means i still have official firmware?

what rom would you recomend and do i download the rom from rom manager?

many thanks
    You have the official stock firmware but with root access.

What you now need to do is flash clockworkmod recovery using ROM manager and then just install any ROM of your choice.

as i have it now can i:

install enable market?

remove apps pre installed

install apps on the sd card

witch rom would you recommend?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

One is a ROM with 2.2 + Sense. The other is just normal 2.2 (like on nexus one, without sense). I'm running the 2.2+Sense at the moment and it has crashed several times on me, would wait until it's more stable.

So.... both are "right". It depends what you want to install.

I use defrost ROM haven't had any probs with it except it gets updated quite a lot. You can get it from ROM manager. Make sure and flash clockwork mod recovery as mentioned before.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I've tried all of them - deFrost, Open Desire and DJ Droid. DJ Droid is head and shoulders the best imo, though this one will probably be the best once its completed later this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Spent ages tonight trying to make a goldcard. Literally hair is being pulled out and it just won't mount after saving the hex file.

How neccessary is the goldcard for rooting a HTC desire

Running Hboot08 FW 2.2.1

Unbranded, Unlocked

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Inquitus wrote: »
    I've tried all of them - deFrost, Open Desire and DJ Droid. DJ Droid is head and shoulders the best imo, though this one will probably be the best once its completed later this week.

No mention of 720p video support on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

No mention of 720p video support on that?
    Its there.Im using it :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

swingking wrote: »
    Spent ages tonight trying to make a goldcard. Literally hair is being pulled out and it just won't mount after saving the hex file.

How neccessary is the goldcard for rooting a HTC desire

Running Hboot08 FW 2.2.1

Unbranded, Unlocked
    You don't need a goldcard if your Desire is unbranded. Just root away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

yep it's worked perfectly. Rooted and all. Thanks for your help

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

swingking wrote: »
    yep it's worked perfectly. Rooted and all. Thanks for your help
    I actually have a branded phone and cant root it as I cant get my goldcard to work :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

How can you actually tell if your phone is rooted. Is there something written different on the software information screen?

I've been trying to root my desire for the last 3 days and I keep getting errors so I'm pretty sure I haven't been successful but I'd still like to be able to 100% confirm.

Thanks

I actually have a branded phone and cant root it as I cant get my goldcard to work :(

i had same problem at the start but got a 2gb sandisk memory card and after that no problems.

i tryed rooting using the cd but that didnt work, used the cmd windows and had all went well

I've just got an idea. How about you try using the Live CD Method?

http://www.megashare.com/2121146

Download that and burn it to a cd and reboot your computer (Or run it in VMWare if you know how).

Insert the goldcard you created in to your phone (Have a regular formatted MicroSD ready on the side). Restart your phone with the back button held down and connect it via usb to your computer. Then when you're in Linux open a terminal and type in the following commands...

sudo mkdir /mnt/cdrom
    sudo mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
    cd /mnt/cdrom/desire

followed by
    sudo ./step1.sh

After the phone reboots back in to the white HBOOT screen you need to switch the phone off. Do so by navigating down to bootloader and then POWER OFF (Using the volume keys) and then pushing the power button to switch off the phone. Once the phone is off replace the goldcard with the regular MicroSD and then reboot back in to Windows. Once you're back in windows, start the phone with the volume down key held down and go in to recovery. Connect your phone up via USB and run step2-windows.bat in the rooting package.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

There are easier ways than that Party :) I rooted mine on the train to Bratislava this morning, went through the steps of the gold card, although I'm not so sure I needed it. Had to change the step1-windows.bat file with a pause in between it trying to perform the same command too quickly twice. Once you hear the USB connect you press any key to resume transferring the file.

Once I had all that done it was a simple task of flashing everything, then fake-flash and then downloading ROM Manager and flashing the r4 2.2 MCR that came out recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 patrickstar3

I don't know if it's the same but you could try using unrevoked:
    http://unrevoked.com/
    It's been called the painless root. No need for a goldcard or anything.
    I was going to root my Desire with the method on the xda forums but this looks promising.
    I'm about about to try and root my Desire in a while.
    I'll post back with the results and my experience if anyone is interested.

I don't know if it's the same but you could try using unrevoked:
    http://unrevoked.com/
    It's been called the painless root. No need for a goldcard or anything.
    I was going to root my Desire with the method on the xda forums but this looks promising.
    I'm about about to try and root my Desire in a while.
    I'll post back with the results and my experience if anyone is interested.
    There is a thread already on this. Many of us done and it works a treat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 patrickstar3

Oh whoops. Didn't see that. Anyway it worked out fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

windows version worked fine.

now to decide which rom I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 t.vygantas

hi i'm just having problems with memory of desire and as i saw today that i can solve them by rooting the phone, i'm trying to make that gold card step by step but it seem doesn't work for me, does anyone does it for money in dublin or is there any better explanation how to do it? and is it worthed. thanx

• Advertisement
Advertisement