Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game-Stop selling old consoles?

Options
  • 07-07-2010 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been dealt with already, but I did a quick search and couldn't find a thread about it already!

A friend told me the other day that Game-Stop used to sell old Xbox's for €20. Now, as a fairly avid gamer, I've been into Game-Stop many, many times and I don't ever remember seeing anywhere that there were old consoles for sale! I know alright that you can trade in your old console there, but I didn't think they sold them on. I also had a flick onto their website and it mentions trading in consoles alright, but not buying them.

Can anyone clear this up for me? Cheers in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,698 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

They were just selling off the old xbox stock they had. They don't go near older consoles :(

Think it must have been about three years ago now. I bought two! Broke one and softmodded the other.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

About 2 years ago GAME sold off their old xboxes for around 40 quid , with most older games €3-€5 or so (picked up a few including <unknown by me at the time> one thats essential to softmodding apparantly).
    Doubt gamestop would have anything similar now tbh..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,698 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

About 2 years ago GAME sold off their old xboxes for around 40 quid , with most older games €3-€5 or so (picked up a few including <unknown by me at the time> one thats essential to softmodding apparantly).
    Doubt gamestop would have anything similar now tbh..

They were only 20 euro. I should have bought more than two!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Schorpio

ahh, that's a real shame. I would have picked one up too had I known about it. I wouldn't mind giving XBMC a go. back to adverts.ie for now then i guess! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Always always always ask if there's anything behind the counter or out the back. you'd be surprised what you'll pick up :)

I've gotten old PS1/2 memory cards and a guitar hero 1 for the PS2 just from asking was there any trade-in's :)

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    Tesco sold em off for a TENNER!

Pour salt in the the wounds why don't ya! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Got one at an xmas fair, looks barely used, €2 lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, right now Gamestop are shifting the PStwo with any three games for €50, not bad.
    The PS2 is going for €30 I think as well.
    They did flog off a load of GBA's a year or so ago for a tenner I think, along with games for next to nothing.

I know Game shifted Jaguars a couple of years ago, as well as some Lynxs' that someone unearthed.

And HMV sold off a load of GBA Micros there about two years ago, I bought 2!

Also got a PSonne with the official screen for €50 or so in Harvey Norman about 4 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Yeah i must pick up a PS2 in gamestop

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well, right now Gamestop are shifting the PStwo with any three games for €50, not bad.
    The PS2 is going for €30 I think as well.
    They did flog off a load of GBA's a year or so ago for a tenner I think, along with games for next to nothing.

I know Game shifted Jaguars a couple of years ago, as well as some Lynxs' that someone unearthed.

And HMV sold off a load of GBA Micros there about two years ago, I bought 2!

Also got a PSonne with the official screen for €50 or so in Harvey Norman about 4 years ago.

must call into Gamestop and pick up a PStwo so. Are you sure that all Gamestop's around the country are flogging them? I'll be heading into the one on Patrick St in Cork anyway and I'll post here if it's available.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I picked up my Gamecube and Xbox in Game about 2 years go when they were selling them off. Xbox was €15 and Gamecube was €20 and boxed :D It was the last Gamecube they had in stock and probably the last Gamecube ever to be in that store.

Last year Gamestop were selling off PS1's for €5 with Rayman Rush and Rogue Spear :P That's where I picked up my slim PS1. Also they were selling off GBA's, GBC's and SP's for €6 each. Picked up a GBA but wish I picked up some more.

Anyway, moral of the story: Buy the shop when it comes to clearance stock. Chances are it'll be the last you'll ever see of it.

I picked up my Gamecube and Xbox in Game about 2 years go when they were selling them off. Xbox was €15 and Gamecube was €20 and boxed :D It was the last Gamecube they had in stock and probably the last Gamecube ever to be in that store.

Last year Gamestop were selling off PS1's for €5 with Rayman Rush and Rogue Spear :P That's where I picked up my slim PS1. Also they were selling off GBA's, GBC's and SP's for €6 each. Picked up a GBA but wish I picked up some more.

Anyway, moral of the story: Buy the shop when it comes to clearance stock. Chances are it'll be the last you'll ever see of it.

I would have bought all of that stuff! They don't seem to advertise this stuff enough! I only found out that they sold clearance stock today! I used to think that whatever wasn't sold at the end of the run was sent back to the manufacturer! Had I known that the sell it off cheaply, I'd have a lot more consoles! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I still have two of those brand new xboxes that Gamestop were selling last year, still sitting in their original boxes, never opened. Thinking about selling them for €20 as I already have two unboxed xboxes as it is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I still have two of those brand new xboxes that Gamestop were selling last year, still sitting in their original boxes, never opened. Thinking about selling them for €20 as I already have two unboxed xboxes as it is :D

I'd take one of them off your hands

if only you were from Cork, then I'd take the other one! Don't think I'm goin upto Dublin in the near future, but if you happen to be coming down here, then I'd take the other :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

You should check out adverts theres always a few on there...

<_<

>_>

:pac:

Lu Tze wrote: »
    You should check out adverts theres always a few on there...

<_<

>_>

:pac:

There never seem to be any good original xbox's on adverts......and def not boxed ones for €20! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

True, you are unlikely to get new ones. I'm selling one myself (hence the comment ;) ) but there are always a few up, so you could keep an eye out for ones in cork etc.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    True, you are unlikely to get new ones. I'm selling one myself (hence the comment ;) ) but there are always a few up, so you could keep an eye out for ones in cork etc.

ah yeah, I know. I'm being very fickle alright bout the price! :D I already have an xbox tho (bought it brand spanking new back in the day!) and I'm only looking for a second to softmod for XBMC. That's why I looking for a cheap one, rather than a more expensive one that comes with games I already have.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Well I just happen to have an unboxed €20note also going spare...trade?

• Advertisement

Well I just happen to have an unboxed €20note also going spare...trade?

Well there's a happy coincidence! :p

Advertisement