Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple things........

Options
  • 07-07-2010 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭

Lads,
    using an standard 2.1 android desire phone.

A couple of things are "annoying me" in a small way.
    1. Is there any way to "not" automaticilly start the "Talk" application (which logs you into google chat) I cant seem to stop it from starting. Even if I force the app to stop it seems to start again.
    2. I am trying to use "handcent" for SMS,however when a new SMS arrives in I got two notifications, one from handcent and the other from the other stock app. Is there anyway to only have ONE app manage the new SMS's? Also, handcent does not appear to pull the contact name that the sms came from, just the phone number. Bit of a nightmare and could be something to do with my contacts. Would love to be able to pull all my contacts over to the PC, edit them then zap them back to the phone again. Any app for that?

Kippy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

kippy wrote: »
    Lads,
    using an standard 2.1 android desire phone.

A couple of things are "annoying me" in a small way.
    1. Is there any way to "not" automaticilly start the "Talk" application (which logs you into google chat) I cant seem to stop it from starting. Even if I force the app to stop it seems to start again.
    One way to stop the GTalk app is by going into 'adding a widget' to the desktop and 'get more HTC widgets'. There is now a widget to stop the GTalk app from starting with the press of a button. Have not tried it myself, but i think that should work for ya.

Also, go into the Talk app and click menu and then the extra options (...) and then settings and uncheck the box to sign in automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭kippy

One way to stop the GTalk app is by going into 'adding a widget' to the desktop and 'get more HTC widgets'. There is now a widget to stop the GTalk app from starting with the press of a button. Have not tried it myself, but i think that should work for ya.

Also, go into the Talk app and click menu and then the extra options (...) and then settings and uncheck the box to sign in automatically.

I knew there had to be a way to stop it autologging in but I couldnt find an "options" buttong on the GUI, I keep forgetting about that menu key available for all apps. Much appreciated............

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I didnt even realise it auto signed in. I dont use it. Perhaps my battery will last a little longer now :)

antodeco wrote: »
    I didnt even realise it auto signed in. I dont use it. Perhaps my battery will last a little longer now :)

Actually,
    After the first few days of use my battery life improved no end (even with it signed in and all the other apps running)
    I have no advanced task killer or any of that jazz and nothing specificilly turned off. I dont use it a huge amount during the day but am gettin 36 odd hours on a full charge now. When I got it first it was about 24.

The main reason I wanted that app switched off was because it was interfeering with Google Chat on my PC and I believe causing problems with it. I dont think any chat server likes two instances logged in at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

2. I am trying to use "handcent" for SMS,however when a new SMS arrives in I got two notifications, one from handcent and the other from the other stock app. Is there anyway to only have ONE app manage the new SMS's? Also, handcent does not appear to pull the contact name that the sms came from, just the phone number. Bit of a nightmare and could be something to do with my contacts. Would love to be able to pull all my contacts over to the PC, edit them then zap them back to the phone again. Any app for that?
    Kippy

Turn off notifications in the stock app. I presume you have already set handscent to be the default messaging app.

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote: »
    Turn off notifications in the stock app. I presume you have already set handscent to be the default messaging app.

Excellent.
    Yep, Handcent set to default. Just had to switch off the notifications in the stock app!
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Actually,
    After the first few days of use my battery life improved no end (even with it signed in and all the other apps running)
    I have no advanced task killer or any of that jazz and nothing specificilly turned off. I dont use it a huge amount during the day but am gettin 36 odd hours on a full charge now. When I got it first it was about 24.

The main reason I wanted that app switched off was because it was interfeering with Google Chat on my PC and I believe causing problems with it. I dont think any chat server likes two instances logged in at once.

Ive had the phone nearly 3 months. I had ATK installed, but removed it, and using systempanel for now. Ill see how my battery is with google talk turned off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I'm using Handcent on my Xperia mini - I also use "Advanced Task Killer" to clear everything now and again - all these apps open of their own accord. Weird.

Not sure how to set Handcent to my default message app on this phone - have disabled the other notifications though...

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭raeGten

Inquitus wrote: »

Hi. Can you go into some more detail on both those points? I'm not sure how to do either. Could you step me through the menus?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

With Google Talk, I just selected Menu > More > Sign Out, and that was that. It never tried logging in by itself.

• Advertisement

I want to set my default SMS app as TextDroid. So where do I set that?

...actually, Can that even be done? Setting a "FreeSMS" program as your default SMS app?
    I just want all my sent and recieved SMSs to appear in the same app. At the moment All my sent SMSs appear in both....which is ok. But my recieved SMSs only appear in Messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I don't think there is an app that will do that for Irish network providers yet, but don't see why it couldn't be done; I guess it's a lot more work and devs couldn't charge for it unless Google gets it's finger out and allows paid apps on Irish Market

Advertisement