Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MOPED V SMALL CAR!! I need wheels!!!

Options
  • 07-07-2010 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi Boardies - I need to have my own transport - not for anything extravagant - just for getting out of Dublin city and as far as bray and around the mountains a little - no need to go on M50...
    I was thinking of getting a moped? but then...is it easier in the long run just to get a small car? if anyone can help me debate out the pro's and cons of each that would be very welcome...
    First question would be - what is possible on a moped anyway??? would I get from Rathmines to Blessington on a moped???
    Can you go up a hill on one? !!
    and what do they cost in terms of tax and running?
    Is a moped a viable alternative to a small car? Knowing how expensive cars can be to run I suppose I'm keen to avoid getting one for as long as possible...but I do need my own transport...
    any and all advice is welcome - thanks Boardies xx;)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

first things first have you got a licence for either.
    It'll take at least 6 months to get a B (car) licence, and you can't drive unaccompanied on a learner permit.

moped = cheaper to tax, run, own and maintain but much less flexible. Only caries one really and little luggage room. Also I'd say it's less secure leaving up the mountains. You'll also get wet, a lot :D

EDIT: Rec -> Motors may be a better section to get more comprehensive advice

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

What age are you and what would be your initial budget plus yearly allowance for the car/moped. Do you hold a license in either category?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Depends on your age, but insurance on a moped *should* be cheaper than insurance on a 1L car.

As above, a moped is cheaper to tax & run, maintenance is usually cheaper (though far more regular) than a small car.

Flexibility is relative. On a moped, you can only carry what you can fit onto your back and/or into a bike box. Although small cars aren't exactly overflowing with space, you can normally fit a weeks shopping for a household into one if you use the backs seats.
    However, you can park a moped almost anywhere (no parking fees), you can bring it anywhere (no traffic problems) and they're actually easier to secure - you can lock them into a shed or garage overnight.

In general though, they're only suitable for city trips - in and around the city and suburbs. You're mostly limited to somewhere between 50kph and 60kph and you're at the mercy of the elements. The latter is not a problem once you have the right gear and your trip is only 30 minutes long.

Rathmines to Blessington on a moped is doable, but I wouldn't recommend it. I wouldn't even recommend it on a 125cc bike regularly. The N81 is a decent enough road; when the weather is good. However, when the temps go below 5 degrees, when it's raining solidly for two weeks and the wind is blowing at a constant 20km/h SW, the trip will really wear you down. It'll be horrible as your bike struggles to accelerate uphill against the headwind, you can barely feel your toes and your fingers and you're soaked to the bone.

There are regular busses between Rathmines and Blessington, maybe they'd be your best bet?

Advertisement